Activities, places to see, and must eat restaurants in Denver, CO

We are planning a four-five night vacation there in the spring. We want to take the kids to the zoo, and the aquarium and the Children's Museum. Maybe the Air and Space Museum and the 16th Street mall. We also want to take the opportunity to eat at some nice and fun places. We are doing Casa Bonita for sure, and probably some of the chef-owned places. Any other things that we shouldn't miss while there?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Travel

• Shucks, I was going to say Casa Bonita.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• http://www.mountevans.com/

This was an awesome view...however, I was prego when we drove up there and by the time we got back down I had started spotting...something about the elevation.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The Royal Gorge, Estes park and do not forget The art museum with the King Tut exhibit.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If you plan on staying in Denver only then, well, you've named all there is to do lol I live here and my kids and I are pretty over the museum and aquarium lol The 16th st mall is a good place to go with family, but go during the day; once dark hits, all the teenagers and trouble makers come out. Casa Bonita will be a lot of fun for you and your family. There's also the Heritage Square alpine slide in Golden, which is about 30 min from Denver...its a slide that starts at the top of a mountain that twists and turns till you get to the bottom. Elitch Gardens is the amusement park, but you'll have to double check if its open when you get here. Lakeside is the smaller park, but its much cheaper and caters more to younger and smaller kids. IDK if you've visited Denver.com yet, but there's a lot more tourist info there :)
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm not a huge fan of the Aquarium. It's ok, but nothing spectacular. Assuming that you will have a car, you can go to a ton of places within an 30 minutes - hour and a half of Denver. There is Boulder, Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park to name a few places. There is also Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs - Cheyenne Mt. zoo, Garden of the Gods, The North Pole.

Depending on when in the spring you might be able to catch a Rockies game.

As for restaurants, there are a ton. Leaf in Boulder is nice and veggie (and kid friendly.) If you want places for a kid free night pm me - DH has been researching for our anniversary in 2 weeks. They are not kid friendly options, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Air Force Academy is you go to Colorado Springs.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Buckhorn Exchange Steakhouse, Baby Doe's [ awesome views}, Tattered Cover Bookstore in Cherry Creek, La Fogata Mexican Restaurant - best pork carnitas, Molly Brown house
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Lot of good suggestions here. My BIL & SIL live there, we visited 4 years ago. Still so much there that we didn't get to see when we went last, so hopefully next time (I keep wanting to see the Molly Brown House). I loved the Aquarium, but didn't enjoy Elitch (Six Flags), but I was overweight and couldn't ride anything LOL. I don't know what restaurants to recommend. We went to Johnny Carino's and Dave & Busters, that's all I can remember. I wanted to go this German restaurant they have, but they were closed.

For the Zoo and the Science Museum (they are next to each other), I would recommend taking a shuttle bus to it. We couldn't find any parking in the zoo parking lot itself and ended up having to park about 1-2 miles away and walked. I could handle that now, but I couldn't at the time. I was so worn out by the time we got there, I couldn't make it around the zoo.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010