How do I get my child adjusted to sleeping on a plane during an overnight flight?

We have no car, so she doesn't spend time in the carseat we do have. I plan to bring the carseat, but I'm not sure if she'll be comfortable enough to fall asleep in it. She is 2 years old. Any suggestions? The flight would be from 8pm until 2am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with outstandingLove....get her used to it before she has to be put in it. Otherwise, i think she should be fine if she's pretty good with sleeping through the night, she should just pass out on the plane since it's during when she'd normally be asleep!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Buy a toy plane that makes airplane noises. Talk about with her. read books about flying on airplanes. re arrange the kitchen chairs and place her carseat on one of them and pretend that you've both just boarded the plane and about to fly.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Hee, hee, heeeeeeeeeeeee...........oooh, hooo, hoooooo......you are kidding, right???

My oldest is 10 now, and the absolutely WORST memory EVER in those 10 yrs. is flying from Miami to Greensboro NC when he was 1,....and thats only a 4 hour flight w/ a 2 hour layover.............Let me just say : @ the end of the trip, we were BOTH crying!!!!

Sweety the best advise I can give you is to be prepared (her favorite snacks - forget about nutrition - if it's gummi bears, gummi bears it is! Pack her favorite book + toy(s). Maybe check around for activity books if shes into that - don't forget the colors :)

I would also talk to her about it. Tell her it's gonna be a LOOOOng ride, and have her help choose a toy or book....and maybe even the snack.
    I hope she travels better than my boy :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We fly frequently so my 2 1/2 years isn't new to planes but he never sleeps during a flight even if he didnt have any sleep that day! I bring all sorts of entertaining stuff, colors, books, snacks, small toys, a new toy (even if small) always makes a difference but all that and I still have to deal with him being bored at least the last hour of the flight!!

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 7:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had to give my son benedryl the first time we flew so he would sleep on the flight.
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 9:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010