getting induced at 41 weeks??

Im 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant.. i got back from my appt yesterday and he never checked me for dilation and he said that he will induce my labor at 41 weeks if i havent went into labor before then.. im worried that i wont go into labor on my own and im going to end up getting induced.. is 41 weeks okay to be induced? and is it true that first time moms usually have to be induced? i also havent had any contractions or anything! is that normal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had failed induction at 41 weeks, waited 42 1/2 weeks to go into labor on my own- never happened. 2nd induction... 1 hour after starting pictosin my water broke on it's own.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i was not induced. but 41 is ok time to be induced. just try some different things like having sex, walking, pineapple, and i think primerose oil.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No, I think that most 1st time moms WANT to be induced (I did I was sick of being prego) but, next time I will absolutely NOT be induced unless it's a danger to baby...
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would wait until the baby and my body decided it was time for birth--unless there is some medically sound reason why the doctor thinks one or both of you is in some kind of danger. Inductions lead to more fetal distress and more c-sections, which mean longer recoveries and hindered bonding.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well i cant have sex because my hubby is deployed and i tried pineapple.. deff didnt work.. i walk all the time and i ate spicy foods, nothing! ugh
    amanda202010

Answer by amanda202010 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• im waiting but my doctor says that he wont let me go past 41 weeks because the baby could inhale his own poop which isnt good
    amanda202010

Answer by amanda202010 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If you don't want to be induced then don't do it.
    I will not get induced until i'm past 42 weeks.
    and it is NOT true that most first time moms "have" to be induced. But what is true is that many doctors induce them anyways.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i was induced when i was 10 days over due. I also had no contractions that i could feel!! When i was on pictoson for a couple hours i still didn't feel anything.. but i was indeed having contractions every 5 mins. It wasn't until they broke my water that i really felt anything. So i would just wait it out as long as you can. But i had no complaints about being induced and was actually very calming and i had didn't feel rushed or not ready... so just play it by ear and see what happens and do only what you feel comfortable with. good luck!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• well i deff want to be induced at 41 weeks if i havent been into labor before them because of the risk of the baby swallowing his own poop
    amanda202010

Answer by amanda202010 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• the baby could inhale his own poop. but it's not likely that. most of the time the baby swallows it. which is not a concern. Your doctor can't "let" you not do something. If you don't want the induction than don't go in.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010