Wedding Advice for dresses

I was told that when getting married your maid of honor is supposed to wear a different dress than the bridesmaids but the same color or the same dress but a different color. is that how its supposed to be?

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 12:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• It can be any way you want to. When I got married the first time my maid of honor wore the same dress as my other bridesmaids but she had a more beautiful bouquet of flowers. She also did a little more with her hair but that was her personal choice, not something I asked of her. And I remember my husband's best man wore a different color cummerband. That was about it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• There are not any rules anymore...you can put her in whatever you want: the same dress, same color, same dress different color, different dress, same color, differnt dress, different color. The fact is it is YOUR wedding and you do what YOU want.
    beth.joe08

Answer by beth.joe08 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Some 'offset' their maid of honor, others don't... it's all in how you feel about that person... I had all in the same dress, same color, same hue, identical. Because each person, in a slightly different way, meant just as much to me as the other. And I did let them have some input on the color and style, but not control. If you want to go for straight etiquette, then consult an etiquette specialist... otherwise, go with your heart.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• At my wedding, I only had a maid of honor. We kept ours very small. So I didn't have that problem!! I told her what color I wanted and let her pick what dress she wanted. But it's YOUR wedding, and if she's a good friend, she should know that and not be getting all snippy. Even though I told my friend she had free range with picking her dress, she still ran it by me before purchasing it. She wanted to make sure I was ok with her choice. THAT'S a great friend!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My maid of honor was in the exact same dress,but she wore a small decorative hair clip in her hair also her flowers were a little different.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i just got married 6 weeks ago and all my brides maides had different dresses same color cause one was 8 months prego one just had a baby my sister is a 00 and the other girl has hudge boobs so i picked out 6 styles and they picked my sis picked first cause she was the maid of honor!
    Britt12-06

Answer by Britt12-06 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My maid of honor was heavier, and didn't want to wear the sleeveless style the other girls were wearing. Other than that kind of consideration, I agree you should do whatever you think makes a prettier scene up front during the ceremony.
    texann

Answer by texann at 3:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2008