How old were your children when you first took them to see a movie?

And how did they do with it? I am thinking my son was about three. His little booty couldn't hold down the seat, so I had to rest my leg on his seat. Other than that, he did really well.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter was about 2 1/2 and I took her to see Princess and the Frog and she was great, I told her before we went that she had to be quiet while we watched the movie because other people that were seeing it wanted to listen too and she seemed to understand pretty well. She's been to 3 movies now, she just turned 3 last month. I know what types of things she can sit through and what she can't though so I will only take her to things I know she will be able to handle and I agree that it really depends on the child so you should decide what you think your child can do.
    pwebster12

Answer by pwebster12 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• 3.5 and 4.5
    they did well, except, (like you) they weren't heavy enough to keep the seat down. DS1 sat on the edge of the chair the whole time to keep it down and DS2 took turns sitting in mine and DH's lap.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:01 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well he went to the movies for the first time at 3 months. His sitter took him and the other kids she watched to a morning matinee and they watched Shrek 3. She said he was mesmerized, LOL. We went to the drive-in when he was 7 months old to see Transformers. He was asleep within minutes (I don't know how he managed to sleep through the noise, but he did, and his hearing is fine).

Now the first movie I've actually taken him (age 3) to see just for his benefit, was Shrek 4 when it first came out. He did pretty good, though after awhile he would only sit in my lap. But that's preferable to him acting up, which he thankfully didn't do.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it really depends on the child. Not all toddlers are created equal.

My son - he is 9 - his 1st movie was Finding Nemo. We had the same issue with the seat, so he sat on our laps.

My daughter - she is 2 1/2 - and she has been to 3 movies already. NOW, they have these red booster seats that you put on the seat, 1) It holds the seat down and 2) it elevates your little one so they can see better. Her 1st movie was Shrek Forever After. We just saw Dispicable me last week and she loved it!!
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my oldest was around 4 or 5 when "Aladin" came to the big screen back in the wee 1990's
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 12:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My parents took my son when he turned 3, and then we just took him for the first time and he's now 3.5 and he did great, sat there the whole time quietly and intently watched Toy Story 3, I guess he did awesome the first time too. I was so proud of him.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I took my son to see his first movie when he was 3.
    AngylJen

Answer by AngylJen at 12:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We took dd1 to see monsters inc when she was three.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Around 3 for all of them. Except if they were infants and we all went, but they usually slept through it at that age.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We just took our kids for the first time a few weeks ago to see Toy Story 3. Our movie theater has booster seats, so those kept the seats down, plus gave the kiddos a little extra height. My 4 year old did good. She got a little scared during one scene but was fine when daddy was holding her. My 2 1/2 year old, did not do well. About 20 minutes in she wanted to leave. We went to the hallway for a little while and made it back in. That lasted another 5 minutes and then we spent the rest of the movie in our car waiting for the 4 year old and my hubby. My 4 year old is excited to go back, but it will be a while before we bring the 2 1/2 year old back.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2010