How do you shake a nightmare?

I have very vivid dreams, and I remember them most of the time. I had a horrible nightmare 2 nights ago that I cannot seem to get out of my head. Its haunting me all day and before I go to sleep.
I dreamt I was in a house along the shoreline in CT with 3 other people. One was a teacher/boss, and the other two my coworkers. I had put DD to sleep on the 3rd floor. All of a sudden, it looked like the ocean was starting to flood the house. We all moved to the second floor. The waves got higher and crashed into the house. I went to the 3rd floor where DD was sleeping. I looked out the window just in time to see a 200+ft wave (tsunami?) about to crash into the house. Next thing I know, Im in the house, and DD is gone out of her crib. I know she drowned. I start freaking out, then I woke up.
How do I get this haunting nightmare out of my head? I cannot stop thinking about it and it is driving me crazy with needless worry.

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 12:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I actively put myself back in the situation and day dream it the way I want~like I found my DD as the wake sucked out and my people were all on the shore fine...

sorry you are stressing~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• sometimes just talking about it will help. maybe this will. i had one last night that my dd got kidnapped in the middle of the night. it was awful!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had a similar dream, where my oldest drown in a swamp because I can't hold on to his hand anymore, the mud is making our hands all slippery................I can still see the look on his face as he sinks in......begging me not to let go.

That was at least 3 yrs. ago now, and I am holding back the tears still as I write this. I had forgotten about it but it was fresh enough that it came right back when I read your question................so they can take a while to shake.

What I do is take a deep breath, tell myself it wasn't real, and try to think about something else.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The only way I have ever been able to over come a night mare is to face it. Finish the dream. Find out what it truly mean. To me this sounds like an inner fear, but there may be comfort at the end of the tunnel sort to speak. Finish the dream it may surprise you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Great advise surfcitymom.....I'm gonna give that a try, too :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Do you live where this could happen? If you do, maybe this is a mental trial run to face that possiablity. Maybe you need to have a emergency plan in place, taking all precautions and do a trial run of what to do in that emergency. It's not uncommon to have nighmares about loosing our children as it is our greatest fear as mothers. Do what you to prepare for the worst. These kinds of nightmares have to be faced head on.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Water- Emotions, moods,and flow of feeling energy. Because of the nature of water, it lends itself to depicting how we relate to our feelings. For instance one can "drown" in or feel swept away by some emotions. at other times we feel cleansed or refreshed. It also represents our potential to experience many emotions, because water can take any shape or move in so many ways. How we relate to the water shows how we are meeting emtion and mood. Tidal wave- any release of emotional or sexual energy. The reason this image is used isthat when we fall in love, have a baby, or are publicly condemned, our ego feels carried along by the experience rather than in control. We mayhave learned how to ride the waves as surfers do. this requires confidence, daring and balance. If we can do it we can open ourselves to a much greater range of feeling or change than if we feel threatened.......
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Then you can move it forward and it will go away. The thing is you are looking at it for what it is rather than what it could possibly mean. I think I gave you most of the key elements though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Even happiness may be repressed, due to feeling threatened. anxiety or depression is one of these enormous waves, which may threaten to engulf us, and so is one of the human conditions the tidal wave represents. Dealing with waves might therefore be about letting go of controlling things; flowing with liffe and yourself. Drowning dreamt about someone else- may occasionally show your apprehensin about their health or well beign, having the suggestion of death or breakdown. Daughter- often feelings of suppport or companionship; feelings of not being alone in the area of emotional bonds;responsibility;the ties of parenthood;oneself at that age; one's own urges,difficulties, hurts, that may still be operative. A sense of lost opportunity and youth, even envy.

Don't know if any of this helps you out at all. These are just some of the possible meanings of the dreams images. If you can figure out what the dream means..
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010