I need a new car seat for my son... any suggestions?

Hi ladies. My son has officially outgrown his infant seat. He just turned 9 months and is already 22 lbs. I want a seat that is going to last him.

Thanks for any suggestions!

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Check out this group, they have great advice http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• get one that has like 5 of the slots to move shoulder belts up. my dd has been in the same one since she was about that age, and she is 3.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Graco MyRide 65!! You can keep him rear facing longer (If you plan to ERF) and keep him harnessed up to 65lbs.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Cosco Scenera is the best convertible seat that I know of. It has 4 vertical slots and 3 crotch adjustments. Comes in a variety of colors depending on where you buy it. Walmart carries them for about $50 and they are built to last. We put our son in his at about 8-9 months, turned him around at a year and now he's 3 y/o. He's at 35 lbs and the seat goes to 40 lbs, if I'm not mistaken. Should last until we get the booster seat at 4 y/o.

http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/Products/For-Travel/Car-Seats/Convertible-Car-Seats/Details/1865-22160TRI-Scenera-Convertible-Car-Seat

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It depends on your budget. The MyRide 65 will rear face to 40lbs and FF to 65lbs and is around $130. The Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL will rear face to 45lbs and FF to 80lbs but will run around $280. Britax is about to come out with seats the will rear face to 40lbs and FF to either 55lbs or 70lbs, depending on the seat, but they likely won't be out before you need to move your son. If you're on a tight budget, go with the Cosco Scenera and safe for something that will last later. It will get him to 35lbs rear facing and 40lbs forward facing.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with mom2ljh.... I'd also like to add that Evenflo just came out with a new Triumph 65 that rear faces to 40lbs and forward to 60.
    There is also the first years truefit that rear faces to 35 and forward to 65.
    If money is tight... cosco just made some changes to the Scenera and it now rear faces to 40 and forward to 40 (check the seat to make sure you are getting the right one if you plan to ERF)

We have a MyRide 65 and a Radian XTSL for my son and they are both great seats... I like the MyRide more than the Radian. We also have a Scenera as a back up seat and it's a really nice no frills seat. And we had the older Evenflo triumph and I LOVE that seat... I wish it had the limits of the new one.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2010