How to tame a kitten that wont stop eating human food?

all he does is cry when he wants food and when I cook, he jumps on my counter and tries to eat my food. How do I fix this?

AngylJen

Asked by AngylJen at 12:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Ignore it. It will eventually stop begging for it. My male cat, I could tell was raised on nothing but moist cat food before we got him. He wanted it all the time. It's not healthy for cats (or dogs--I wish my MIL would realize that) to have moist food in their diet all the time. I broke him of the habit by simply not giving in to him. He gets it as a very rare treat.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• how can you ignore a cat that jumps on the counter?

First, the cat should never be on the counter. That's a rule. food or no food.
    Second, get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Whenever the cat misbehaves spray her with it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My dd actually broke this habit for our cat. I started him on wet food and she told me to try dry food cause its less expensive. She did and the cat ate it! This is the same cat who used to get on the counter and eat my food if I hadnt finished it! Just put a bowl of dry food down and dont let the cat have access to anything else. If he jumps on the counter put him back in front of his dry food bowl. I had cats when I was single and I treated them like babys. You can break this habit now, while you still have a kitten. Be strong and assertive like my dd!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I just feel bad because he HATES dry food. He'll eat it..but he'll seem hungry afterwards still.
    AngylJen

Comment by AngylJen (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• First of all, stop giving the cat human food. Give him cat food. Don't let the cat in the kitchen when you're cooking. Between this combination this should work.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Jul. 17, 2010