How do you tell if its allergies or a cold.. I dont know whats wrong, lol

AngylJen

Asked by AngylJen at 12:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• for me - if benedryl helps, it's allergies, if it does nothing for my symptoms then it's a cold.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• When I am having allergy problems, my eyes itch and one is watering a lot while the other feels too dry. I have a lot of clear smot which makes me cough, I can't stop sneezing, and if it's really bad my voice starts sounding kind of raspy.
    When it's a cold, the snot is more yellowish and I get a bad headache.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well, from personal experience, if it's allergies, she/he will be sneezing and coughing but not feeling bad in general, and the symptoms will continue. If it's a cold it will be sneezing and/or coughing along with over all not feeling well and will only last a week or so, give or take. Also, you can sometimes tell by the color of the mucus, green or yellow can sometimes indicate infection.
    GreySkies

Answer by GreySkies at 12:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you have a runny nose see what color it is. If it's clear, it's allergies. If it's yellow, a cold. If it's green, then you have a sinus infection.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The symptoms for allergies are pretty much the same as with a cold.  The only difference is with allergies you don't "feel" sick.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2010