How often is my 2 month old supposed to poop?

He does it maybe once a day

CarolAnn521

Asked by CarolAnn521 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• three times a day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Breastfed babies can go up to 4 days without pooping, and it's completely normal.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 12:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Some babies can poop every time they eat (like mine did!) or once a day or not for a few days. It completly depends on the baby. As long as your LO doesn't seem to be staining and poop isn't hard, then all should be well.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If he is straining, the poop is really hard or it seems like he is bleeding, you should talk to your doctor. Otherwise, once a day could be completely normal. Every child is different. It will depend if they are FF, or BF, or a mix of both. It will depend on what you eat if he is BF or what kind of formula you use if he is FF. If he consumes any other fluids or if you have started any sorts of solids with him. (Generally not recommended until 6 months, sometimes 4 months, but some parents chose to start earlier.)
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My breastfed babies generally pooped after every time they ate until we started solids.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movements. As long as he is not having hard, painful bowel movements, he is fine...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thats normal. My daughter would poop everyday or every other day because she was on formula. Formula made her a little constipated. My son poops all the time because he breastfeeds. We had to stop when my daughter was 3 weeks old because I was admitted into the hospital, but thats a different story.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone! He is formula and breast fed. We use Similac Early Shield. Its not difficult for him to go. I'm only 19 and this is my first child. My husband was worried and I became concerned as well. But as far as this goes, I think it is fine. Thank you everyone for your input. It really helped!
    CarolAnn521

Comment by CarolAnn521 (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010