i purchased a shih tzu.....?

or did i? i bought a puppy and i went to check him out twice. both times the father was gone with someone. i really regret not saying that i won't purchase puppy until i saw father but if they are trying to hide father couldn't they say another male is the father. i'm suspicious now if my so called purebred really is a purebred. i question him only cause his hair is very thin and just doesn't look totally shih tzu. also i saw on her ad that she added a pic of the mom but not the father. i did get akc papers but they really don't prove who father is. i wish i could load pic but i just can't figure it out. would you be suspicious of them not having or seemly trying to hide father? i thought of doing dna but i already spent a lot of money purchasing him. what would you do? test or not? it is important to me cause i want a shih tzu and it would put my mind at ease. if he isn't could i sue her for the testing and my money back?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I would be a bit suspicious. I would check the AKC like Acid suggested. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure. i don't know that you could just ask for a DNA test, either. I would be a little suspicious. I have a purebred Shih Tzu's, and know quite a bit about them. If you posted a picture, I may be able to tell you if I think it's a purebred. Did you buy it from a breeder?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Don't buy a dog DNA test from Petco or PetSmart...they don't always get it right. I would be very suspicious if I could not meet both parents to be honest. With my Pit I met and cuddled with both parents. Mama wasn't bad she's only 55 pounds, but Daddy is this beasty 75 pounds of pittie love and he thinks he's a lap dog :-(
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• yes i bought it from a breeder in our phoenix news paper. it's funny though cause she told me herself some breeders lie. i wonder if she was meaning herself...lol. not funny at all if it turns out she did. yea i wish i could post a pic.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• oh i want to add that when i asked why his hair was like that both times i was there, first time son was there second mom but they both said that exact same thing" cause they have been playing in the water" but he looks the same dry here at home. it almost seem like they rehearsed this line of questioning. i feel so duped and like a fool. they all have the same thin coat.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sounds like he might be mixed....

this is a pure pupper http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/tashi_shih_tzu_01.jpg_w450.jpg

this is a mix I found http://www.talkpets.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4843&stc=1&d=1219193198
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• He is probably a mixed breed. Anyone can fake a set of AKC papers, it isn't hard. If the father wasn't there there is a good chance he wasn't purebred and they were trying to hide that fact.

One way you can check is to call the AKC or look on its website...if the puppy's mom has a registration number you can type it into the AKC"s website and it will tell you if the mother is really registered. If not, and she is saying she is, its illegal, you can get her in a whole lot of trouble.

www.akc.org. I think you can click on Registration. If not, just navigate through the site and you should be able to find it.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I did the same thing years ago, I bought a "weenie" dog from a lady, my little weenie dog turned out to be half coon hound and weighed around 50 pounds, but I loved that dog so much. See if you can find out through AKC.
    jillisue808

Answer by jillisue808 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2010