my baby got an abnormal test result from his infant screening test (pku). we are having him retested but i am really worried. how normal is it for it to come back abnormal and be tested again and be fine. has anyone else had this problem but everything turn out ok. i hate that i have to wait a week to hear back. my son is only 6 weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Newborns: Why is the PKU test done twice?
    Because of the high sensitivity of the PKU test, there are some babies with PKU who will have a positive test within 48 hours.
    parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nhealth/0,,3q6x,00.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Yes Hun, Don't worry your self..( impossible for a good mama to do) My daughter had the same thing happen and I got the letter on a Friday and Drove an hour away the next day so they could do the blood work and they wouldn't do it Because it was to close to time for them to leave.. So i waited til Monday.. That was a very long wait! But everything was fine as I am sure it will be with your sweetie pie!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• same thing happened to us. she's fine now. try to not stress too much.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• it is normal to get a bad result.. be reteated and everything fine! dont freak out just yet!
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Don't worry, that is one of the reasons they require two. Because the first one can give you a false positive.
    Camrynsmommy81

Answer by Camrynsmommy81 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• That happened to my second daughter. They told me that the test was insufficient, so I had to take her back to be retested. They didn't get a big enough sample the first time. Everything turned out fine. I stressed out too, so I know it is hard. Hope it all turns out well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2008