Is my daughter behind??

My daughter will be 5 in a few months. She is only able to write one letter, as well as recognize that same letter. She is still having problems with her numbers, matching and sometimes her colors.

She does have IEP at this time BUT they aren't working on any of things at all.

Breezy97

Asked by Breezy97 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Whats IEP? Have you tried flashcards? I made homemade flashcards with bold colors.. they seeemed to have helped my daughter. Good luck!!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My son really started to visually recognize the letters of the alphabet once we started reading him Dr. Seuss's ABC book. It's one of his favorites, and it's fun to read too.

Flash cards are great learning tools. My son is only 3, but we are still having troubles with his colors. the cards are helping, but he still gets confused every now and then. With more practice I know in time he'll grasp on.
    kb714

Answer by kb714 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• For above answer an IEP is individual education plan, and it is for students who need a little extra push achieving academic goals. As for the question a lot of times a parent really needs to push the school system to get extra help for their child, it may sound bad but the school will sometimes will rather have a child struggle in class then give her the extra attention. However a good website for children learning ABC's and early reading is called Starfall I let my daughter start playing on it when she was 2 and she has learn to recognize the whole alphabet before she was 3, it is a really fun and enjoyable program that you guys can play together.
    ami226

Answer by ami226 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• im totoally with ya on this one..my daughter will be 5 in april..she can oly write A L E I and O...and doesnt really recognize any of them either..ive been going thru her letters every day for i dunno how long, but she just has NOOO interest in learning that kind of stuff, shes rather be playing outside, so im not much help for ya, but im in the same boat as you if ya ever need to talk!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You need to talk to her teachers and ask for a plan that you can do at home also.
    MissLu

Answer by MissLu at 8:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• At that age, I wouldn't consider her behind. Some kids are ready for these kinds of things earlier or later than their peers.

Play games and do flashcards with her focusing on her numbers, letters and colors. Try fun activities to practice writing her name. Some examples are filling a ziploc bag with cheap shampoo or pudding, sealing the bag, and then drawing a letter or her name on the surface.

Point to things in your home and say it's name, the letter it starts with, and then ask her to find or name another thing that starts with the same letter. You can do the same for letter sounds.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008