Help, I hate my job!

What would you do... I work part time, 20 hours per week as an Animal Control Officer for a very small City. This job is very depressing. I have found it very difficult to deal with the average stresses of the job including the constant complaining from the public as well as the nasty people who yell at me on a daily basis. I have found my stress from this job affects my family and home life. I don't feel it is worth it to continue. I actually broke down and walked out of the job. Has anyone done this before? Any advice? The city has asked me not to leave and wants me to stay. I don't want to stay and don't want to feel weak and as I have given up. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, that's a tough one.
    My first reaction is that your job is not worth your health. But if you loose your job you might not be able to pay for things you need which also effects your health.

...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You would QUITE your job in this economy! Your crazy! My husband has been looking for a job for three years and nobody will hire him!
    LisamomofJames

Answer by LisamomofJames at 1:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I work in a very stressful job for 40 hours a week and even half that time wears on you. What I do is try to get away from it for a while, get out of the office, take a bike to work and ride for a few minutes, walk or just sit quietly in your own car with some good music. I am also in a job that people don;t like my position. well, the old saying goes, kill them with kindness, use all of your empathy skills you can muster, when they complain, listen, if it is about your office write a note down and tell them you will tell someone of their complaint. try to offer them advice that might help them with THEIR issue. The best thing is to really listen, not get angry and do repeat what they say to you, not word for word, but enough to let them know you have heard them. This will usually calm people down if they feel heard. I don't know what you go through exactly, you did not say, but I hope this helps.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 2:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree if its comes down to it lose the job
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Find a new job, though don't leave this one until you have a new one.

There are tons of great tips and resource in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• how much money is your job bring in.. only 20 hours a week..there should be something you can do from home that can help you out to supplement... look at my journal "how i work from home" or email me.. i can help a bit if you need it.. there are tons of free jobs online
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Id love to help you in anyway I can...I work for myself, but NEVER by myself. I am a WAHM and have been for 5 years. I love what I do, and I know its possible for anyone...ITs stress free b/c I am at home, work my own hours and days and I am here for my kids and 1 ont he way 24/7. Feel free to message me.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have been a 'work at home' (I still have a day job but it's not enough) mom for over 3 years now. I've seen some really good jobs and some flaming scams. I post about the good ones (only free stuff) here: Earn Money Online

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2010