Why do people request you to be friends on these sites and then never write you?

This happens more on Facebook. People everywhere request you and they don't know you. Then when you try to chat with them they either ignore you or write once or twice and that's it. Don't people like to make true friends or is it just about the number of people that they can say they have on these sites?

MamaNiecey

Asked by MamaNiecey at 2:04 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I call these people "friend whores" lol. I have a friend I've known for 12 yrs on facebook and she is "friends" with practically everyone from our hometown, everyone we went to school with all 4 years of it, everyone from local news station, radio station etc.!! She's the biggest "whore" I know! lol over 600 people are her "friends!" Meanwhile I have 22. My family members, a couple friends, my sisters business site, and two of my teachers from school way back in the day! lol. If I wouldn't talk to you on the phone, you're not gonna be my "friend:" lol :) For the most part, I don't get it either! lol
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't accept those that do that on FB.
    but i have here and i'm about to send out a mass message to all my "friends" and let them know that if they do not write me within X amount of time to let me know they are still around and remember me than i will delete them.
    just tired of having a bunch of people on my list i know nothing about.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• yes
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 9:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Some people just "collect" friends. That said, my CM friends are people I have something in common with, people I share a group with, that sort of thing. While I rarely write, I often keep up with their journals and that sort of thing. After all, who has the time and inclination to write individual letters?
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't accept anyone on FB I don't know. I do accept people as friends here on CM but don't write much unless they write me asking a question. I stay connected with "friends" on CM who are members of my groups too. It helps me check on them and make sure they are ok when I don't hear from them and some have private profile pages.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks to all who answered my initial question. I agree with all answers actually, and found this to be very fun. Some days I just get so frustrated and try to reacout to those so called friends and just get ignored. I believe that Cafe Mom is more the place so I plan to be on these pages alot more. If any of you want to add me you can. If we have some common interests. But if not we'll catch up again I'm sure with some of these questions eh? Thanks again!
    MamaNiecey

Comment by MamaNiecey (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My opinion is that they just want to see your profile and see what is going on and to make them seem like they have alot of friends
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010