Gun control or armed self-defense?

How fast can the police get to your home if some crazed drug addict breaks in waving a gun at you and your children? Do you think gun control laws should be tighter? (Since we all know criminals will obey those laws, when they break all the others->sarcasm) If you believe in armed self-protection, how would you keep a firearm where you could get to it in an emerency, and still be safely out of the hands of your innocent child?
Please no bashing, I am just wondering how you see it.

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 12:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I've called 911 twice - to report a fire and to report a natural gas leak. I was put on hold for nearly 2 minutes for one and dropped on the other. Keep in mind that when I was put on hold - no one knew if I was being murdered at that moment or if I was just reporting a drunk driver! In all, it took nearly 5 minutes to get through and make my report on the faster of the two calls.

A lot can happen in 5 minutes. Who will protect me during that time? Can I honestly expect the guy breaking into my home to say "Oh, I see you are on the phone trying to reach the police. I'll sit quietly over here until they arrive. Oh, and by the way, I'm a convicted felon so you don't have to worry about me having a gun." Of course not.
    If someone tries to hurt me or my family, I will do everything in my power to stop them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I am all for self protection and the right to bear arms. The most important thing is to always have the safety on and never store the ammunition and the gun in the same place. However, the best investment is a home security system in my opinion.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• why must it be one or the other?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I believe that the only people who should have access to guns should be police officers and other law enforcement officials. I believ in tight gun control. I also think it should be regulated by the federal government and not the state. When I was a detective for the NYPD I worked as an undercover officer in the narcotics division for 7 years and every time we bought illegal guns on the street guess where they came from? The states with relax gun controls. The more relax the state gun laws are the easier from criminals to get guns and send them to states with stricter gun controls and make huge profits. More police officers are killed in Florida then in New york even though the NYPD has 38,000 officers, more than any other police department in the United States.
    continues
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• part 2
    Now that being said. Since moving to Florida a state which has very relax gun laws, I hav econtemplated getting a gun to keep in my house for protection, because I know that it is very easy for anyone to get a gun here. Now to the second part of your question. It's very hard to keep a gun where you would have easy ascess to in case of an emergency and at the same time keep it away from your child. It depends on the child age. The older the child teh harder it will be. When I was in the force, my gun was always in the safe during the day. not easy ascess but away from my children. At night I slept with it under my pillow. Easy ascess and away from my children. hope that helped.
    ny.chica

• never store the ammunition and the gun in the same place

Okay, how does that work: "Wait right there Mr. Thug, I have to get the ammo out of the lock box in the other room and load my gun to protect myself from you, now that you are here" ??? NOT so great.  

Anonymous

• How about teaching your children how to use and how not to play with guns from the time they are strong enough to pick it up; the same way you teach them to use other tools like a fork and a spoon? We taught our kids, but we lived in the country. Is this even possible for parents who live in heavily populated urban areas?
    Anonymous

• at what age do you think we should teach our children how to use and how not to play with guns? just wandering, not bashing...my daughter has being to the range with me but that was at 15. I did talk to them both at an early age but children don't always follow what we teach them. they get curious and then there are the friends that visit. Is a lot to consider.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Well I have a gun and its kept with the clip out within my reach if I need it, but knowing how to use it fast enough and still be safe is something I think people should learn and practice. However I do not have kids yet. Keeping locked is IMPERATIVE I think but locked somewhere that it will actually do you good if you need it too. Thats such a hard one. Also never letting them see it or where it is. My husband says once our baby starts walking they will be locked up always, but in different places. In the top of a closet seems like a good place to me...but obviously still keeping it locked.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If you have a shot gun and pull the loading mechnism it makes that wonderful noise and nobody knows if it is loaded or not.
    Anonymous