spelling, punctuation, grammer.....??

I grew up playing scrabble with my mom. At the table sat a copy of the dictionary so we didn't cheat or use words that weren't. I pride myself on the ability to spell and use more than just your basic vocabulary. I am, without a doubt, a sesquipedilian. If you don't know what it means, look it up.... I am seriously annoyed at posts, status updates, craigslist ads, etc when people don't take the time to capitalize, punctuate or just use whole words. LOL is the only thing I use, I'm not big on the whole CIO, ERF, DD,DS, DH- whatever! I don't even known what half of those stand for. Is the luxery of language just going to shit or what? Even when texting I don't use shortcuts. I spell everything out and it really gets to me that people just don't do this anymore...PS I'm only 26 so it's not like I'm 70 bitching about these young pups...;) Are people really just that lazy though? Does anyone else feel this way?!

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 2:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in

• I have a larger issue with sentence structure and flow. I can live without a comma or period as long as I can understand the writer's intent. I could care less how many words are clipped or phrases turned to acronyms if I can follow the point. I appreciate your point of view and I admit, some things do irk me: there, their and they're, two, to and too, then and than, etc. But on the flipside, I'm not reading these posts for English credits. I'm reading them (usually) to connect with another person. I don't need to be the spelling or grammar police for that. And for the record, I'm a horrid speller!
    V.Dubbya

Answer by V.Dubbya at 2:53 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Some people (i am one of them) just suck at spelling but who are you to talk down on people who are crappy spellers...Who cares. I am a very smart person...i just dont spell well. I bet there is something i am better at then you but i would get annoyed, I would be understanding not everyone is as perfect at spelling and grammer as you. move on and get over it, cause its going to happen...
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well I am sorry I stink at spelling most of the time(I do use spell check). My punctuation and grammar suck the most. Oh, just to let you know grammar is spelled grammar not grammer. LOL

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• you spelled "luxery" wrong. It should be "luxury".
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Trying to correct and needs to be corrected. Not a good combination in my opinion. And she did what when she was little.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No, especially when i know what u are talking about.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• THANK YOU ALL!!!! You guys just made my night! Lmao! Maybe people do care more about proper spelling than I thought!! ;)
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm not judging there Ms. Overly sensitive bad speller you, lol...my sister can't spell for shit and she's owns a million dollar corporation. so what. She also can't keep house plants alive and made her living from a greenhouse business. My point was to know if other people do still value spelling things out vs all the texting crap. For example teenagers that use texting abbreviations to hide things from their parents...I will make my kids forever spell things out. I was just raised that way. I'm not judging those that don't or aren't, I'm just curious if people do still care if they mis-spell something. If you're a bad speller, fine- it doesn't mean you're a bad person. At least you can admit it and go on, if I mis-spell something by mistake or I over-look it, it pisses me off and I'm mortified and pray no one notices....oh to be a proud bad speller....
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Have you ever stopped and thought about people that have learning disabilities? Not every one is great at spelling. I have dyslexia. I suck at spelling. It's a battle I've had my whole life and it isn't going to get any better. No I'm not lazy when I use short cuts. Short cuts are easier for me.

MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 2:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I get that too MuddyHuggies. My other sister is dyslexic- has been since she was a kid. I'm not bashing and I'm sorry if it comes across as such. I worry when I screw up, I'm OCD when it comes to spelling! lol not seriously, but I would absolutely delete and report if I mis-spell something. Even as simple as leaving a letter out, or putting an extra in. Even when I write something like "Goin to the doctor..." I would repost just to add the g on going.... I love spelling and big words, but it bugs me that I do crap like that!
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2010