How to win the battle with THRUSH?

My 3 month old and I have been dealing with this since she was born. We've tried Nystatin for her (twice) and Duflucan for me (three times) no avail. Genetian Violet for 4 days and I thought we had won, well, it's back! We are doing the Violet again plus I am taking probiotics now ... but I feel so defeated!
I am exclusively breastfeeding, no pacifers or bottles.

unsuspected

Asked by unsuspected at 3:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• have you tried wiping her mouth after she's done eating. i know it sound simple but that's all i did with my daughter and she never had it, but my son did and it's b/c i didn't wipe his mouth after each feeding.0
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son had terrible thrush while he was on a steroid treatment. We sprinkled probiotics on everything he aye! (of course that doesn't work with a 3mo old) Like the other mom said, wipe out her mouth with a clean moist wash cloth after each feeding, and make sure you're eating lots of yogurt and probiotics. Use disposable nursing pads and change them often, and whenever you can keep your breasts clean and dry.

If you give her antibiotics, use a small oral syringe and spread them all over her mouth inside, very slowly. Then don't feed her for at least 20mins, so the anitbiotics can stay on the surfaces in her mouth for as long as possible!

Good luck!! Thrush is awful. :(
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010