3 months of thrush ... any advice?

My 3 month old and I have been dealing with this since she was born. We've tried Nystatin for her (twice) and Duflucan for me (three times) no avail. Genetian Violet for 4 days and I thought we had won, well, it's back! We are doing the Violet again plus I am taking probiotics now ... but I feel so defeated!
I am exclusively breastfeeding, no pacifers or bottles.

unsuspected

Asked by unsuspected at 3:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probiotics. My daughter had it forever and that was the only thing that cleared it up finally.  Hit a reputable health food or vitamin store and speak to someone who knows about it.  It wasn't cheap but worth it to get it cleared.  The prescription stuff our doctor gave us might have worked if we could have gotten it where it was supposed to go on her tongue!  

StRita

Answer by StRita at 4:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Do you put the GV on your nipples as well? My DD got thrush once, and my doc said I could put the Nystatin on my nipples so I was "treated" as well. It took a while, but it went away. Thrush is pesky, but maybe it would help if you apply some of the medication directly to the source as opposed to taking any oral meds (although I do think the probiotics are a good idea!).
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Get a refrigerated probiotic. Sprinkle it on your breasts before feeding. When baby is finished. rub breastmilk on your nipples, let completely air dry, and sprinkle on more probiotic

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Are you SURE it's thrush? Does she have white patches on the inside of her cheeks or lips? Yeast likes to die, so when I hear of "resistant" or "persistent" thrush I start to think of other causes of nipple pain in mom. Raynaud's Phenomenon is one cause of treatable nipple pain in breastfeeding women. The pain has been described as "a vice clamp on my nipples" by some women. It's VERY painful and often mistaken for thrush. If your child isn't showing symptoms of thrush(a white tongue can be normal, it's called a milk tongue. If you can scrape it off a little with your fingernail, gently, it's milk tongue. Thrush white patches in the mouth don't scrape off and may bleed if scratched) then it may be something else. If you think it might not be thrush, find an IBCLC in your area and ask about Raynaud's Phenomenon. The fix is for you to take calcium-channel blockers for 2 weeks. They're safe to take while BFing. cont
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The one you want is Nifedipine. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html

Kelly mom has some information about it, but not as much as I'd like. Here's a link to the AAP website. It has a nice little write up about it that you could take to your doctor or the IBCLC.
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/113/4/e360
    Click on the full text link on the right hand side.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Also, if it IS thrush you need to do GV for 2 weeks, wash all toys that she chews on, and blankets, shirts, bras, etc. The probiotics will help also. Try to limit your sugar intake to only fruits and not processed sugar(it's still sugar, but hopefully a little less).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2010