how much would you wait?

How much would you wait to get pregnant for the second time? if you have the choice.
what do you think is the ideal age difference between siblings?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 6:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• After the first is potty trained completely, and weened of the breast or bottle. That is how far apart your children should be apart, Ideally. So depending on when you get that all done, 2 to 4 years apart.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with louise2 about the pooty training/feeding . I think 2 to 3 yrs apart is good they can still relate to each other.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 7:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it's a personal choice and what works for your life I have a friend who waited a bit and wished she's had the second sooner and another friend who got pregnant again almost immediately and she wishes she'd waited a bit... But they both admit they are glad to be getting the bottles, diapers and sleepless night over in one chunk, rather than start over again. *I'm just having the one, so i can only offer the advice I get from what my friends say :)
    Ultimately, I'm sure whichever choice you make, you will be thrilled with your new little one.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 7:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It depends. I know some people who say that they don't want to be in diapers and bottles forever, and therefore want their children very close together. They have children that are 13-18 months apart. I also know people who like louise2 say wait til one is done before starting for another and say 2-3 years apart. It depends on what you want.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'd wait for a smoooooooooothie from Mcdonald's , they are better than children. OOOOOOOOOOOOh h h h h I can't wait for a smmmmmoooooothhhhieeeee....... YUUUUMMMMMMMMM!!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have the first 2 16 months apart and its been great for us. #2 and #3 are 3 years apart and I'm not sure if it's the age gap or the fact that I now have 3 kids but that age gap has been harder for me. The first 2 could take a lot of the same classes together because they are so close. They have a lot of the same friends and are great playmates. The baby is just dragged along to the older kids activities and it has been harder for me.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• There is no ideal age difference. There are good and bad things about having them close together and good and bad things about having them several years apart.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My body is ready to try again- but my heart is not.
    I will be carrying a surrogate pregnancy & when that child is born my son will be 22m old. So even if I got pregnant immediately their would be almost a 3yr gap- but Im thinking wwell wait another year after the surro birth, putting almost 4yrs between the kids. Then Ill either get pregnant with #3 immediately or give up the idea of #3.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• As close as possible! My 2nd and 3rd are 18 months apart by "accident" but I absolutely love how close they are! They have always been close enough in age that they were interested in the same things and like the same toys - it was perfect because they entertained each other, and still do (almost 9 and 10). My 4th and 5th are 20 months apart - my 5th is only 1 week old, but I like the closeness in ages.

Answer by missanc at 11:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have kids 3.5 years apart. My son is 2 mos, and it workas well for my DD is independent, and has been a great helper.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010