Quitting Smoking

Today is day three of my quitting smoking campaign. I've been a smoker for 18 years, and a regular, pack a day smoker for 15. While it's not been perfect, it's been better. Down to 3-4 a day from a pack. I'm proud of my progress, but have reached a hurdle.
In addition to my nicotine addiction, I am totally hooked on caffeine; coffee specifically. I've never had a cup of coffee without a cigarette. On one hand, I don't want to drink coffee if it's going to make me crack and smoke. On the other hand, I'm feeling pretty pissed off about having to give up BOTH. Any suggestions?

Jenny-talia

Asked by Jenny-talia at 8:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• When I quit years ago, I had the same issue. I just gave up coffee for a while and switched to diet coke or tea. After a few months, when I felt pretty secure that I wasn't going to resume smoking, I was able to start drinking coffee again. Don't be resentful about it--just look at it as doing what you gotta do to take care of business.
    My old boss had quit smoking over 10 years ago and had to give up coffee during his quit. Interesting, he found he felt better without it and never picked back up the smoking OR coffee habit, so you just never know.
    Best of luck to you--quitting is awesome and eventually, you'll feel so much better :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• When I quit smoking about 11 years ago, I did it about the same way you are. I cut way back and the went cold turkey. I had to stop drinking coffee as well. Completely lost my taste for it. I still got my caffeine in the form of sweet tea with lemon. However, once I got over the hurdle several months later, coffee was appealing again. It's just somthing about those two flavors together that was hard for me to seperate. I wasn't willing to caving in just for a cup of coffee so I quit coffee too for awhile. Good luck!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I quit for a week, and then had a few smokes at a wedding and they still tasted so good. I went on Wellbutrin, for depression, but it also helps with quitting. I hadn't had any cigs in a while, but sometimes when you have a drink you want one. Well, I had one here and there and I couldn't even finish them, they tasted aweful!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't have any suggestions because I am the same way. I've quit smoking so many times and the longest I've ever gone is two weeks but I've never tried to quit coffee. I'm not sure which is harder quitting smoking or quitting coffee! Good luck and keep us posted!
    GrammaBev

Answer by GrammaBev at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Change your routine.  Have your coffee at a different time or in a different location or doing a different activity to take your mind off the cigarette.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Get some Jolt gum. It's pretty cheap if you can find it in a store, but it's still not bad. On Amazon, it's about $25 or so for two boxes of 12, so after shipping, it's just over a dollar a pack. Two pieces has the caffeine of a cup of coffee. That way, you're getting your caffeine fix, chewing something to help with the smoking craving, and still avoiding the cup.
    I love the stuff. I hardly drink coffee as much, and it has helped me with my own cutting back on the cigarettes. I've cut back in the last month to 4-5 per day instead of a little over a whole pack a day. :-)
    Yay us!!!!!
    Also, if you really need the actual coffee, have it during play time with the kids. It helps because, it's not like you'll sit in the kid's room and have a smoke, but you can stick the cup on the dresser out of reach and still have it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• ROFL OP, I just got your screen name.  Snort!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• *smile* glad you got a kick out of it! I aim to please. =)
    kiwismommy - that's a great idea. I totally forgot that Jolt made gum. I'm not a big gum chewer normally, and I haven't really tried that since I've stopped smoking *so much*. I've been using mouthwash to get the strong flavor in my mouth and cinnamon altoids. I will definitely look for some Jolt gum. And thanks for the Amazon info, that will be a huge help I think!!
    Jenny-talia

Comment by Jenny-talia (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I get such terrible headaches when I don't have enough coffee, and the times I've quit smoking there is no way I could think about giving up coffee too. Unfortunately I still smoke so I don't have any advice, just here for support!
    Katie1991

Answer by Katie1991 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010