considering seperation/divorce. i am a veteran, and current military dependent. does anyone know my rights during or shortly after these times? or where to look for info. i don't exactly want to ask his first sergeant...

wondering about cdc use, termination of tricare, base housing during seperation...???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I've heard the military has their own way of doing things. All I know is that you will get child support. I would try googling it. Do they have military lawyers you could talk to? I have heard civilian lawyers say there's not much they can do.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree. It is probably in your best interest to consult a military lawyer. If this seems to be too much for you, perhaps you arent really ready to seperate?
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 9:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you go talk to your local JAG or Military Legal office, they should be able to answer some of these questions for you. They won't be able to help a whole lot with the divorce, but they can help some.

As far as Tricare and all of that goes... honestly, it's going to depend on how long you've been married and a bunch of other stuff. You are still able to use it if you are separated but legally married though. Same with the CDC. But, if you get divorced, even though the children are still military dependents, I don't believe that you will get to use the CDC as daycare - I think he would have to have custody for the kids to go to their.

BUT - like I said, I would go in and talk to the JAG office.

Also, not knowing your situation and for what it's worth, your Fleet and Family Service Center (or branch equivalent) and the Chaplains offer free and confidential marriage counseling - his Shirt wouldn't have to know.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i agree with sailorwifenmom. once you get divorced you lose everything. your access to post, health care, your id card, the right to live on post; if you kids goes to school on post they can't go but the kids will still have the health insurance so that's a plus.

you should talk to JAG, and with yall having kids the army (at least i know) will force marriage counseling if they feel its something that can be worked out over time. and divorces wit kids through JAG takes longer to get. in that case i would talk to a civilian attonery.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2010