Does your Humane Society do this?

I found a litter of feral kittens. I called the Humane Society. They told me in order to drop the kittens off, I would have to pay a $25 surrender fee PER ANIMAL. That would be $125 to drop off five.

I thought I was doing a good deed, saving feral kittens and taking them someplace they could find homes. It seems like charging a fee to take them to the Humane Society would encourage people to just dump them on the side of the road, creating more feral kittens.

I know they survive on donations, and I DO donate. But a surrender fee seems wrong. But does your Humane Society charge a surrender fee? What is your opinion?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 9:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ours here in town is a no kill and they don't charge.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you are bringing your own animal, they charge you a fee. But if it's a stray that you found, they don't actually charge, but they will ask for the fee to spay/neuter the animal. They only go on your word though. So, they get a lot of people dropping the unwanted family pet off and saying "I found it on the side of the road".
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• ...sounds like your branch doesn't know the rules.
    For dogs or cats, the surrender fee should be 45 for one and 60 for two or more. The costs of rehabbing and placing feral animals can run in the hundreds of dollars.
    I recommend finding a smaller no kill shelter, however. Their costs are lower so they will be better able to work with you on any surrender fees they may have.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Wow, that's a tough one...on the one hand, I completely understand your point of view. Obviously it's counter-productive to charge good Samaritans a surrender fee. On the other, I imagine that one reason they have for implementing the policy is to try to discourage the habitual surrenderers...you know, the people who won't just get their pets spayed and neutered because they know they can just dump the litters off at the HS. Perhaps they should evaluate on a case-by-case basis, using common sense and good judgment.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i think that stinks! i have no idea what our HS does, as we are new in town. i guess next time you could just report it, and see what happens? let them do all the dirty work..isn't that what they're supposed to do? i know how that sounds, but i'm with you..charging a volunteer to drop off unknown animals is akin to charging the victim of a crime.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my humane society charges a 45 dollar surrender fee. about a year ago i had to give up my two cats because i had to move and they waved the fee because i told them i couldn't afford it.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• They have a cage in the back and you put your pet in it and ring the bell and leave if you do not want to have contact with them if you bring them in or any animal they do not charge.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Probably many do it, or they would be overrun with feral kittens. Very sad! Poor kittens. I would imagine that the cost of taking them precludes how many they can actually take care of.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• a SURENDER fee means you are surrendering YOUR animals. They shouldn't charge if you find stray animals...you can't surrender them if you don't own them.....Are they stupid? I think so.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• when we needed to get rid of our dog and could not find a home for it, over the phone they told us we'd have to pay a fee. When we got there, we took the dog in, said we had found her, then left. Did not pay a fee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2010