Why do some countries want to ban burkas?

I read the question about France wanting to ban burkas, and I don't quite understand why. Is the government afraid that women could be hiding explosives under their robes?

To me, it's a freedom of expression issue; and also a freedom of religion issue. If a woman chooses to wear a burka, she should be allowed to.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 9:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that the burqa shouldn't be made illegal...its a part of Muslim's faith...but it isn't just France, it's many european countries, they are claiming that the veil hiding someone's "identity" is dangerous, and that things can be hidden underneath....its ridiculous.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 9:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• And blow us all to smithereens.

I have people and things to live for, I don't know about you.

For awhile, people in Israel couldn't get groceries without getting blown to pieces.
    That's why.

It only takes one on the bus you're riding.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• To me, it's a freedom of expression issue; and also a freedom of religion issue

I will ask once again. WHEN DID FRANCE ADOPT OUR CONSTITUTION?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• After 911 there was a big hoopla in some state bc a muslim woman wanted to get her DRIVER'S LICENCE picture taken wearing her full burka. I think there was even a law suit over religious faith vs identification or something like that. IMO that's where it gets ridiculous. How are you going to use an identification picture where your face is almost fully covered! Also, many muslim women wear burkas but they are NOT specifically mentioned in the koran or other religious doctrine. It calls for women to cover themselves, usually 3/4 covered. The same effect can be made wearing jeans & a long sleeve shirt. I don't think an article of clothing should be made illegal, if that's what someone wants to wear then let them. Frankly I'd rather see more women & girls covered up then all the boobs & ass cheeks I see whenever I go to the mall!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Those women should know that they are free to not wear their burkas when out of their country. No one will stone them.

Except for the daughters who have been killed by their fathers under Islamic Law in the US.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• and its funny how many non-muslims are covering their faces with a face mask due to allergies or other diseases !!
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have no idea. Maybe they should ban Muumuus too, or all baggy clothes.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 11:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think countries are using the burqa as a symbol for wanting to keep their own culture. They feel that immigrants, mainly Muslims, are coming in and taking over. Demanding customs and such be changed to fit their religious beliefs and cultural customs from back home. France, and other European countries, were not based on immigration the way North America, Australia, etc.. were. So they have a much deeper attachment to their culture, in this case FRENCH culture. And French culture doesn't include covering one's face on public streets. They would prefer that immigrants adapt to French culture rather than expecting the French to adapt to the immigrant's culture.  I think it has very little to do with security.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 11:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• France hates religion. They have banned the symbols and clothing of many religions multiple times (yes even Christian). It's part of the socialist culture that religion is evil, and this is one more part of it. What's wrong is that it oversteps the bounds that should exist between privacy and society. Lets face it - this is the kind of move welcomed in communist China, not a "modern, western society". Force people to stifle their religion and make them pray to the state instead.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

Wow, how very clueless. Did you know if you are Christian you are free not to wear a cross, if you are Jewish you are free not to wear a wig or a yarmulke, and if you are Wiccan you are free not to wear a penatcle? Oh, you want to wear it of your own free will as a symbol of your devotion to you faith? Then why on earth would you think a Muslim woman doesn't WANT to wear her burqa?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010