Encouraging Baby to Eat More?

My daughter was a large baby at birth (80th percentile) but since then her weight percentile has dropped at every check up & now at 6 months she is in the 4th percentile. I am VERY concerned about this but the ped said to just add an extra meal of solids each day & will check her weight checked in 1 month.

My daughter is breastfed and gets 2 solid meals a day--and eats a few tablespoons of solids at each mea. She BFs 7-8 times in a 24 hour period, though the amount she eats at each feeding varies--sometimes 2-3 oz and sometimes 4-5. I offer her the breast or a pumped bottle ALL the time in the hopes she will eat, but really, you can't force a baby to eat!

Any suggestions for high calorie/high fat foods that are safe for a 6 month old? I've tried whole milk yogurt & avocado. Tips for getting a baby to eat/drink more? (FYI, we used to co-sleep and it was a disaster, so I don't want to do that again).

Thanks so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, my baby did not like avacado, but keep nursing her, if that is not working try a supplement maybe once a day with some formula but if she is nursing 20 minutes with 7-8 times a day that is all she needs. oatmeal cereal. jarred foods.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• your breastmilk has more calories than solids. I would nurse more and do less solids. Look at yours and your husbands family history is their any tiny babies? They run in both mine and DH's family. My oldest is in the 5th% for weight and my youngest isn't even on the chart. But both stick to a curve. Get yourself to a LLL meeting for more help.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• True lynette. My baby loves whole milk yougurt mixed with cereal I made with my milk. It is thicker and higher in fat and he adores it!
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would nurse everytime rather then bottle feed. My son takes in more breastmilk when he breatsfeeds then when he bottle feeds. I would give her a breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the same time everyday. My son looks forward to eating and is ready at those times. Hopefully...this helps!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Here are some good links to help w/ the breastfeed baby
    http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain_increase.html
    http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It may just be that your daughter is going to be smaller child. My smallest child at birth was 7 lbs 7 oz, largest was 8 lbs 9 oz - but by 2 months they were all right at 11 lbs, and after that my boys (8 lbs 9 oz and 7 lbs 14 oz) continued down on the growth scale until for their weight it finally steadied at about the 3% (my now 10 year old was 15 lbs at 1 yr). At 10 and 12 they are still thin boys, their bodies are similar to their dads and mine.
    Not discounting your drs concern, or yours, but it may be "normal" for your daughter. As long as she seems happy and is developmentally on target I wouldn't get TOO concerned about her settling into what may just be a low spot on the % chart.

Answer by missanc at 11:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Is your ped using a breastfed growth chart? bf'd babies gain weight differently and tend to be leaner.

You know some one has to be small. If she's healthy, growing, happy, and on target let it be. My baby was 8lbs at birth (not at all large -- she's got a long lean body type), at 6 months was 13lbs, at 9 months was 16 1/2 lbs. She's petite but freakishly strong..mobile since 5 month she's always been active and burns a lot of energy. She isn't a chunky baby.
    Nurse nurse nurse, breastmilk is all she needs. Babies don't digest solids well so you are just making poop, calories are extracted fom breastmilk efficiently.
    Also, keep in mind that if you had a typical hospital birth with iv and drugs, it can artificially inflate birth weight from the excess fluids.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010