Inviting an unwanted family to my sons 1st bday party...

My husband grew up with the girl whos parents lives across the street from my In-laws. We LOVE her parents & have invited them to my sons 1st bday.. but their daughter is 30 something, has 3 kids under 4. Who are ALL horribly behaved rude children. My in-laws try to avoid her & her brood as often as possible which is hard bc she is it her mothers EVERYday.
I hadnt originally invited her to my sons bday party, but my inlaws asked last night that I would so their wouldnt be any neighborly drama.. I agreed, but is it wrong of me to not want her bratty kids around my son?

- I cant imagine the drama that will occur when my son is big enough to play with her little guy & I dont allow it..

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't have invited them. I would have just said there wouldn't be room or something, or just told the inlaws that her kids are brats and I didn't want them around and if they wanted to avoid drama they could make up some polite excuse. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to surround yourself with undisciplined bratty children.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is not wrong of you! You have to do what is best for your child and family. I personally wouldn't have invited them. I guess that's just by "blow them out of the sky" attitude I get....good or bad. I hope the birthday goes well. Try not to stress too much so you can enjoy your child's special day. :-)
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Neighborly drama? Um, ok... I would say that you wanted a quiet party, and those kids are "at an age" where that won't be possible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If they are going to make you uncomfortable then do not ask them to come.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Never understood the need for ppl to include those they don't like so there's no "drama". There's still gonna be drama, it'll just be @ your kid's bday party instead of about your kid's bday party. If you don't intend to have good relations w/ them in the future (refusing to let your son play w/ her spoiled brat) then you may as well take a stand on this party. Tell her parents that while you love spending time w/ them you don't enjoy how their grandkids behave. As it is YOUR son's bday you'll only be inviting ppl you want there, not ppl others want to come. Tell them they are invited & ask them to not invite or inform their daughter about the party.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• sucks but if you didn't want the kids to come you shouldn't have invited her parents.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is not wrong of you. You get to pick who your son plays with. Stick to your guns as he gets older.

You and hubby should be prepared to monitor those kids when they are at the party. And you should give the people who asked you to invite them a heads up that they will be needed that day to help monitor them too. Make it clear you want their help. If you have games make sure everyone gets treated fairly.

Those kids need a lot of love and guidance that they clearly are not getting at home. It is really sad and they probably would be sweet hearts if they just had the discipline (which is guidance, not punishement).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Just do not do it, it is your son's party. Tell them you are having something small.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is absoultey the lack of disipline. I watch the 4yr old hit his dad with a stick. The dad said if you do it again your going to get a spanking. WACK! The dad chases the kid & instead of whooping his ass like promised he knocks him down and is tickeling him. Im sorry & maybe its just my parenting style but I my kid hit me with a stick @ 4 He deserves to have his ass whopped!
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i would've told them you'd reached your limit with invites..everyone knows kids parties include games/bags/etc-per kid! not to mention a housefull!
    what i've never understood is why invitees feel welcome to insist the party-thrower invite extras!! if you wanted them to come to the party, you would've invited them in the first place. it takes a lot of balls to invite (or expect them to be invited) others to someone else's get-togethers. i'd remember this next party, and not invite the g-parents, either!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:53 AM on Jul. 17, 2010