Would you pay for a DNA test to discover your dog's pedigree?

Depending on the company you use a test can run from $60-$170. I have a dog of mixed pedigree that we adopted from the pound and I would pay $60 to find out what she is!!

mamastefl

Asked by mamastefl at 8:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pets

• I had my rescue dog spayed today, and I paid extra to have the DNA workup done. The way I see it, in addition to satisfying my curiosity, it can also tell me what health problems my pet might be genetically predisposed to.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• you just said yourself you'd pay $60 to find out... so there's ur answer! :)
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Yes i would if i had the money to spare.
    TaraKay

Answer by TaraKay at 8:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• If it really means that much to you to know then go for it. Personally I dont think I would
    CharlotteluvsJ

Answer by CharlotteluvsJ at 9:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• No. Dogs only have so many genetic markers for things (up ears/down ears, long tail/short tail) that you can have a dog who may have never had any "purebred" blood in them at all, even if they look like a PERFECT mix of X and Y. Besides, unless they're part of a testing breeding program, knowing anything about their possible breed history will not tell you anything about the dog at all, so it's a waste of money.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't check it unless I was trying to sell the dog and wanted to know how much it was worth.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• nope. Why does it matter?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't want to know. Honestly, we have a pit mix that we got at the pound, and no matter what the test said, it wouldn't change that we have an awesome dog.
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2008