Fun indoor activities for a toddler? Ideas???

We live in Texas where its upwards of 100 degrees everyday and I'm 7 months pregnant with baby #2. I feel horrible that I can't take my 20month old DD outside to play during the day, so I need some help with indoor activities that will be fun for her. She does get outdoor time, its just in the evenings when her Daddy gets home and its cooler outside, but we're running out of ideas to keep her stimulated during the day. ;) Any help would be appreciated. TYSM!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 11:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• PLay hide and seek with her; get a coloring book and color with her, my dd loves to color! Play dress up with her, give her some cloths to try and put on herself!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Colored play doh, and a laundry basket of books and one or two of his/her favorite things to play with.
    garlaura

Answer by garlaura at 11:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Recently we got DS (16 months) a indoor slide, he loves it. And it can be folded up and put in the closet so it doesn't take much room. He also has recently got into coloring a lot. I like the color wonder markers because he can't mark on anything but the paper he is supposed to mark on. Mega blocks is also something that keeps him occupied. He also likes dancing. We got him a cd player for his room and lots of toddler friendly music and he will dance away. Also finger painting, its messy but he loves it....Hope this helps.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• get a small stiff sided pool and fill it with lots and lots of balls. all different colors. Usually balls are included with some toy games, , you may have some just around the house. Keep the pool / balls around a carpeted area, or in a place where it isn't going to be in the way, if you can.
    Make homemade playdough, from salt, wheat flour, and food dye. Keep it in a tupperwear / tight lid container for anytime.
    Color together, make ham and cheese square, circles shapes and put on a cracker. (or no cracker)
    Paint her nails with strawberry shortcake polish. it's non toxic-----+ no fumes

coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Most toddlers adore balls in a variety of sizes. You can bowl with them. roll them to each other, etc. My kids loved playing in the sink too. I'd put a smock on them, fill sink 1/2 full with water, and put plastic cups, funnels, etc in there. You need to be close by though so only you control the amount of water (!) and line the front of the sink with a towel. My one son would play there forever. You'll know soon enough if she is too young for that if she only wants to drink the water! You can also Google indoor activities for toddlers. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• take your kitchen chairs, and make a tent..have a lunch/ snack picnic with her! I do this with my 24 month old son, he LOVES it..he can alrd say " mama tent" to let me know when he wants to play. I just put the chairs in a square, and get a big blanket, lay it over the seat..so he can go under and that's his tent! OR you could go get a pop up tent...but he likes me to make it so I can sit under it too, for snack time. Also, finger paints....drawing, coloring, sink games..he puts his potty up to the bathroom sick and plays in it..baths are always a good way to keep them busy! tea party, little table and chair set, with dolls and you....dress up works, puppet shows..you can keep it simple, so you don't wear out too fast too, as you mentioned your pregnant. It can be VERY frustrating when they can't be outside in the summer...my son loves to be out. GOOD LUCK hope this helped.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010