What do you think of the Barefoot Running shoes?

I saw them on the news the other morning and they look comfortable but strange. I'd try them. When I showed them to hubby he said a guy wears them to work. Don't know if I'd do that.

cafeclubmom

Asked by cafeclubmom at 11:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I've read that people run differently barefoot, landing on the front of the feet where the bones spread better to take impact than the heel of the foot. I've been considering this, because landing on the heel is more likely to contribute to injuries to other joints of the body. Link to research:

http://harvardscience.harvard.edu/foundations/articles/barefoot-running-easier-feet-running-shoes

The barefoot shoes would be more hygenic than walking around with no shoes at all, certainly.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• like the nike ones for 85? thought they looked really neat~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my dd saw them the other day on a woman and said "look mommy, that ladies shoes have toes!''
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Ive done the research and have seen people wearing them, but I could not get over the "look". Does and store sell them OTC or do they need to be ordered on-line? How sturdy are the bottoms-that was other one of my concerns.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I've owned two pairs for 6 months or so now and love them love them love them! Occasionally I'll wear my black ones with jeans and it freaks out people in my little town. haha! But they are great for running. It feels like you are running barefoot and feels really great EXCEPT don't overdo it. I ran a little too much too fast when I first got mine and ended up getting foot tendonitis in my right foot. It hurts and now I can't do much exercise if I stretches my foot at all until my foot heals. If it ever heals. This probably wouldn't have happened if I would have broken them in slowly. I still wear my Vibram shoes around though. Highly recommended, just be cautious when running in them.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 11:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Oops...I forgot to say, you have to learn to run differently in them (not hitting on your heels). AND they improve your posture also. You can gen get them at www.vibramfivefingers.com or any of the sites listed at www. birthdayshoes.com
    And for sisteract: the bottoms can't really be considered sturdy. when walking in them you can still feel rocks and stuff, but the bottom is made of a fairly thick but flexible rubber so things don't hurt when you walk on them.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 11:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2010