Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What will Michigan police and law do in this situation? What should we do?

My best friend is 17 and just left her parents house. What happened was her uncle and aunt were over and her parents were high. Her uncle hit her dad and when my friend told people to stop yelling and fighting her mom beat the crap out of her! So her aunt took her away to her house where she is now going to live.

The girls parents are holding her money (about $300) and possessions and says she cant have them unless she will live with them. She wants to get her stuff without pressing charges or having the uncle she now lives with being reported for hitting her dad.

What does the law say about the holding of possessions? Would an officer help her get her things? If charges were pressed on the uncle now (2 days later) would anything happen?


Asked by amber710 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 18 (4,826 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Well in Michigan the age of majority is 18.. but she CAN legally move out at 17. Therefore her family can not with hold her belongings. They can not report her as a runaway either so she doesn't have to worry about the police making her live with them. The Juvenile Code defines an "adult" as being anyone who is the age of 17 also, so call your local PD and see if they can have an escort for her to collect her belongings.

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • Since she is a minor she likely won't be able to get her stuff. She needs to report it.

    Answer by Carpy at 12:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • She's going to have to go to court either way to emancipate herself and try to petition for her processions.. it's unlikely she'll get them especially if parents want to be pricks and sell or move them so they aren't there upon request..

    As for her father pressing charges on her uncle.. it's 2 days later and likely will just get a "warning" if that, especially since she was abused by her mother, it will most likely look to the cops as an uncle defending his niece.. so I wouldn't worry about that..

    But she's going to have to call the police and/or petition the courts about her things and her legal residence.. if nothing else, she may be able to get child support from her parents

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • She is under eighteen unless there is a court order for her to leave her parents house they can keep it. Even at that the only things the parents would be obligated to give is her clothes/ make up/ etc. personal affects.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010