How can I get my 1 month old to sleep longer?

From the time we brought her home till about 3 weeks she slept about 4-5 hours at a time. Now she is only sleeping about 2 hours if that at a time at night. She eats about 5-6 ounces of formula in each sitting. Also she is still backwards, sleeping more during the day than at night. How can I flip her around to were she is sleeping more at night?

stephie06

Asked by stephie06 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA sorry I was remember back to when my dd, now 15 mo, was that old & I had the same ?. Unfortuantely its just wait. As she gets older she'll wake less, sleep more & figure out when its awake time & sleep time. For now, hang in there, sleep when she sleeps & realize this too shall pass!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• She shouldn't be sleeping 5 hours. She needs to eat more often than that. She sleeps good during the day bc there are sounds and she's feeling safe. At night everything is quiet so she doesn't feel as secure. My doctor used to say leave a radio or tv on softly in the background. I'm not sure I agree with that long term but if it helps you can try it and then wean her off of sounds at night. The brain needs quiet to rest. BTW, many babies do this so it's normal.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA sorry I was remember back to when my dd, now 15 mo, was that old & I had the same ?. Unfortuantely its just wait. As she gets older she'll wake less, sleep more & figure out when its awake time & sleep time. For now, hang in there, sleep when she sleeps & realize this too shall pass!.

..agree

wait, when they are a teen, you will not be able to wake them, hardly see them unless when they are having a snack in the middle of the night and you wake to go to the bathroom your paths cross
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• there really is not much you can do. but it really does go by fast. try very dim light at night not to much talking. start a routine now (of course it will vary a bit as time goes by, but it really helped my kids) around 2 months i started putting my youngest to bed the pretty much the same time evey night, now at 3.5 months she goes down w in 20 min at the most every night at the same time. it is nice. we are a big fan of swaddling. she was sleeping 1-2 hours at night at a few days old and when we started swaddling her it doubled. at 6 weeks she was sleeping 5-6 hours swaddled. hope this helps. hang in there it will get better i promise!! GL
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It gets better. There is nothing you can really do to make them sleep longer. It's just part of having a baby. It seems like it takes forever for them to finally sleep for 5 hours, but trust me. Once they do you realize that it really wasn't that long of a time to wait. Good luck!
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 2:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Wake her during the day to feed her. If she's not getting her "long sleeps" during the day, she will take more of them at night. It's hard to wake them to eat when they are sleeping - my 5th is 1 week old and I'm in the middle of it too. I usually undress her, change her diaper in between breasts, wipe her face with a wet washcloth, etc to keep her up long enough to get a full feeding - both during the day and the one time she wakes at night. She may be waking more often due to a growth spurt, and hopefully that will calm down for you on its own.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Start waking her more during the day for feedings. My 2 month old is sleeping 5 to 7 hours at NIGHT now, and staying up most of the day, simply taking cat naps. I feed him more during the day. She needs her schedule flipped imo. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010