Why does my dog have stinky eyes?

My shih tzu/silky mix has always had stinky eyes. The matter around them stink so bad. I try to nuzzle her but it makes my face smell too. What is up with that?

EvaLee

Asked by EvaLee at 1:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pets

• My mom has a shih tzu / pekingnese mix and it does the same thing. The vet said there are musk glands in his nose wrinkles that need to be kept clean or stuff seeps out of it and will stink up the entire surrounding area. She is supposed to pull back the wrinkles and wipe them clean every day (sort of like cleaning a foreskin). I don't know if this is pekingnese or shih tzu related, but maybe that's what's up with your pup?
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It could be an infection of some kind. Take her to the vet if it gets worse. A lot of the excrement from the eyes on doggies smells. They have special eye wipes at Petco and PetSmart for it.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Thanks! I've taken her to the vet about her eyes when they got red before. He gave me medicine for her and said it was allergies. I'll have to look for those wipes.
    EvaLee

Answer by EvaLee at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If there is no puss then its probably just the natural bacteria. My shitzu had it too and so did my bf's parents dog. Try Angels Glow, its just this powder you put on their food every day until it clears up and then maybe once to twice a week after that. It REALLY works, it helped my Abby out so much. And we eventually got to stop using it because now she doesn't have wet, stinky eyes at all anymore. You can only get Angels Glow online though.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yeast is naturally on the skin. It thrives in dark, warm, moist environments. So folds of skin and under wet fur. The tears are keeping it wet and so it stinks. Plus the tears have the enzyme that turns the fur reddish. I'm not sure if that is a factor or not. Keep that fur as clean and dry as you can. Plus make sure there isn't an eye infection. Yellow or green discharge. That should be treated.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008