Do/Will you raise your children with specific geneder rolls?

Like "THIS" is for boys or "THIS" is for girls and not letting them mix?

My boys have dress up clothes, dolls, purses and play kitchen stuff... Of course they have cars and trucks and action figures too, but they love their "girl" stuff too... I don't see it as a bad thing. But after reading some of the answers on another question I was shocked at home many people actually teach their kids that one thing is for girls and another for boys...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My dd loves to play dress up. I think all kids do. But she also loves to help her daddy work on the trucks. She's a good little mechanic. Now if we could just find a good place to run and play in the mud...
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My girls have cars but they tend to pick the girly looking ones. They also love dinosaurs and building blocks. They also had a toy tool set one point. My youngest daughter loves dolls and picks dolls of differenct races sometimes. I have no problem with it at all. In fact I'm glad that they show an interest in other things besides "girl" stuff or more specific "white girl stuff". lol.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My dd loves hockey and wears "boy" t-shirts of her favorite sports teams. She has cars, bobbleheads, and her room is a sports theme. I didn't push her one way or another. She just loves to watch sports. She never got into dolls, play house, ect... I don't know why...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Okay, well I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol! Personally I have never seen the point of "boy stuff' or "girl stuff" - Stuff is stuff... I mean, I don't buy my sons bras but kitchen sets or dolls or purses... Why not? Who is it hurting?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Hmmm....I wonder which question you're referring to, lol. Honestly, I'd let my son play with something that wasn't traditionally for his gender. My husband may not like it, but from experience, I can say that it's often totally normal. This may sound really weird, but when I was about 4, I became obsessed with wanting to be a boy, lol. I had a friend who was a boy and wanted to be just like him. I insisted and begged for boys shoes, then when we went to the store, I saw boys underwear and wanted those instead of the girly print. And you know what? A lot of people gave my mom CRAP for it, but she bought them. It was a phase I went through that lasted maybe a month. People told my mom that she would "make me a lesbian" and other ridiculous nonsense, and they were all wrong. As if a pair of boys shoes could make some a lesbian anyways, lol. I soon went right back to Barbies, flowers, and everything girly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I never did this with my kids, they could do their thing and often had arguments with their dad because he wanted to enforce the gender roles and I didn't, specially with my son.

Answer by older at 12:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The boys have baby dolls and other "girl" things. They love them and it doesn't bother me. But sometimes i feel like i need to draw a line somewhere because i'm worried about them being picked on. I just bought a pair of PINK goggles for DS1 at his request. and he wanted Pink arm floaties too. ...and i said no. He's also asked me numerous times to paint his toe nails. ...i keep telling him i'll think about it and hope that he can wait until winter when we were more shoes and socks. lol is that bad of me?
    If it were up to me only, i wouldn't care at all. But society is not like me and i don't want my boys to feel insecure. With some things i think it's just better for me to say "well, i'm not gonna let you have that because people will think you are a girl" vs my boys being made fun of by some rude little kid and being called "gay" and what not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The ONLY thing my DH has ever really had an issue with was painting my 3yo's fingers purple... He wanted them done, I wasn't going to let him cry... So I painted them... The DH didn't really love it, but he dealt with it! He did request that next time we stick to clear or other "unseen" colors. Mostly because he gets tired of explaining to people that our son is a boy! lol He's already got long blond locks and the most beautiful eyelashes... So he kinda looks like a girl. With nail polish it's kinda hard to get people to believe that he is a boy! lol - my DH hates that!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I let my girls fall into the roles they feel most comfortable with. While they both like "girly things" - dolls, dress up, barbies etc... my oldest LOVES dinosaurs. She's had several pairs of dino jammies (picked by her from the boys section of the store) gets little dino toys, and doesn't like wearing dresses or skirts. My middle DD loves dresses, skirts, all things cute a frilly, but is more sporty.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son plays with what he wants to play with. He loves Toy Story and asked for a Jessie stuffed doll and I bought it for him and a couple of people made comments about it. It would have been no issue if he'd picked the Woody or Buzz Lightyear doll from the exact same movie. He also went through a stage where he loved Dora and Diego and my mom bought him a couple of Dora things. My family doesn't really see where its an issue. We'd rather him grow up secure knowing that we love him and accept him no matter who he is and what he likes.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010