HELP! I'm trying to get my child to sleep in his crib??

My 2month old who is a big boy has been sleeping in his bouncy seat since he came home from the hospital. I want to get him to start sleeping on his crib with the baby monitor so I can go back to my bedroom with my husband :( . Any sugguestions on an easy transition? Should I let him cry awhile?

JancieAnn

Asked by JancieAnn at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just switched my two month old into the crib too! What you should do is create a schedule for him. when he wakes up, feed him, let him play for about an hour to two hours(whatever seems ok with him) then take him into his room read a story or something(create a nap time routine so he knows its time to sleep) then put him in the crib. he will cry at first. give it about 15 minutes of crying then go in and rub his back and sing to him or something but dont pick him up, this will create a horrible habit youll have to break later. after about 2 minutes or so leave the room again. if you have to repeat this again after another 15 min thats ok. he will fall asleep. when he wakes up continue the same pattern of wake eat play sleep. this will help tons! i got her sleepin awesome in her crib after onlyh 2 days! good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I suggest the -wait until he's drowsy but not sleeping technique- This way he will be too tired to really care where he is but will start associating the crib with sleep. He may wake up and cry a few times a night the first few nights (my daughter did this when we switched her from the bassinet to the crib) but eventually he will get used to it!
    Hope this helps!
    tessa0210

Answer by tessa0210 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I started letting Haileigh sleep in there at nap time then did the -wait until drowsy but not asleep technique- at night. That way she was used to the crib and not scared of it. She made the transition very well. Now I can put her in there at night and she makes two little crys and is out. LOL
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 4:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Chloe has acid reflux and so she would spit up in her sleep and we were afraid of her choking and so she slept in her bouncer for a month and a half. We had a horrible time getting her to sleep in her crib at first then we combined both those methods and after a few days she was sleeping fine in her crib. We also put a pillow under one side of the mattress so it was propped up and she will now sleep for 6 or 7 hours at a time and she is 8 weeks old. We also have the crib in our room because I read that babies can sense the presence of parents and it calms them. I dont know if its true but she does fine in our room. Just some suggestions.
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 11:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2008