Ok so I am not sold on this .......

whole BF thing. My sister and I have 3 year olds born 11 days apart. She BF and I FF. Her child has been sick at least 3 times more, with worse symptoms, has allergies, is a HORRIBLE eater, and is over all pretty moody kid. My child is a great eater, not sick very often, and allways happy. And my child is in day care, while hers is not. She is the one that brought this to my attention, and said next one she will FF and skip all the hassle. After she told me this i have been asking and noticing around that FF babies are really no worse off then BF babies, even though BF babies are suppose to have all the benifits..... anyone notice this as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• And I have to add...I DON'T buy into the whole bonding thing. My son always had a bottle, and we are SO close, so much more than any of my friends are with their babies, breastfed or not. Then again, I'm also a SAHM, so that may have something to do with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• As far as my own children are concerned, my older two were FF, LO was BF. Between my older two, my first born has had ONE ear infection her whole life, ran a fever twice, has no allergies, and is overall a very healthy child. My second born had chronic ear infections from age 4months to a year (had to rush her to the ER once with a fever of 105 because she also had bronchitis). She's very susceptible to URI's, has some allergies, and gets sick very easily. My LO (who was BF) has ran a fever once, thanks to vaccines. Never an ear infection, she has no allergies, no URI's, nothing. VERY much healthier than the older two (and she's not such a picky eater either!)

My friends who have FF babies - their kids are pretty much the same as my middle DD. It's hit and miss. No one says BF WILL prevent illness 100% of the time. Just like not all FF babies WILL be sick 100% of the time.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I breastfeed simply because it's cheaper. I don't understand why people would choose to spend money on something they can easily do themselves!

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well my children were pretty much more healthier than my friends who BF. But genetics has ALOT more to do with the overal health of the baby than the food source. Personally I don't think it matters one bit as far as temperments either. Some babies are klingy and grumpy and are regardless of whether they get their food from a bottle or a boob. Breast Feed IS cheaper, hell it's free, it can be alot more convient than making a bottle, and there are the nutrition factors as well. But for me none of those reasons were enough to try and get my son to latch on after 4 weeks of pure misery and lots of projectile vomiting. the easiest way isn't always the best, but that doesn't mean it's the worse either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It doesn't matter whether you BF or FF it's all the child immune levels, genes, and chemical make up.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• LOL...how silly. A child doesn't suddenly become moody or happy as a result of switching from formula to breastfeeding or vice versa....it comes down to parenting and breastfeeding is one aspect of it.

If your sister thinks her child is magically going to be different if she uses formula next time then she is stupid.

And regards to what you see about..people see what they want to see and make their own reality. My reality is a lot different from yours. It isn't a good comparison either as about 99% of people choose to formula feed for some bizarre reason.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Antedotal evidence is never a good indicator of the whole group. Of course there are going to be children who are FF that do not have allergies, and of course there are BF children who do. That does not mean that formula is as good as breastmilk, and that does not mean that breastfeeding caused those problems either. In addition, some children are naturally shy and needy, while others are not.
    It is possible that your sister was very stressed and her daugher picked up on that. I agree with the first answer that parenting style comes into play a lot here. It can be very depressing to go from having a lot of freedom to adjusting to the intense needs of a newborn as a stay at home mom. If I were you, I would encourage her to keep up the breastfeeding with her second, but allow herself some freedom through pumping, date night, etc. It sounds like she was probably lonely (of course I can't say for sure).
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Most of the exclusively breastfed kids I know in real life are/were much sicker then my formula fed kids.  I have 4 kids and in the 10 years I've been a mom we've had 1 ear infection and one case of the flu.  My younger 2 kids (who are 7 and 4) have never seen their doctor for anything but well visits.  They only get colds and they never last long or are serious.  I don't even have to give them meds for them half the time.  My 7yo missed 1 day of school last year for a fake tummy ache.  Out of the 4 of them one has allergies (to cats and dogs).  They were all 100% formula fed.  Most of the breastfed babies I knew were sick all the time and still are.  My youngest son was just born on Wed and he's being formula fed, too.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have noticed this with my son. I know it's not always the case, but my son has been FF since he was 3 1/2 months old and is healthier than my friends' babies who are breastfed. He's also ahead of them developmentally, and he's at a healthier weight. I think a lot more goes into a child's health than just what they eat, so maybe that has something to do with it. I just know that my (mostly) FF son is the exact opposite of what some people like to label babies that are formula fed will be. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Nope
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010