Have you tried putting the TOYS in time out?

Changing the behavior of a 3 y/o can be a challenge, but this has been working (maybe because it's new, LOL). Rather than admonish my child for HIS offending actions, (throwing toys, squirting water outside the tub with toys, tearing books, etc.) I now put the "offending TOY" in time out.

When he squirted me with a bath toy last week, I said, "Uh-oh, Whale! No Squirting! Bye Bye, Whale!" & put it in the mesh bag for toys. When DS wanted it back, I just "explained", "Nope, the whale squirted water on the floor, so he's in time out. Bye Bye, Whale." Happily, no other toys repeated the behavior, YAY!

When he tore a book page out (new behavior, but has done it 4 times) I took the book away & said, "That book CAN'T be torn! It's going to time out, so it's safe. Time out, book."

Toys that aren't put away go in "time out" (out of reach) until the next day. Now, all I have to say is, Does that "x" need a time out? (Yay!)

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 12:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do this a lot. My kids have trouble sharing (7y/o doesn't mind it, but then 2 y/o says "everything is mine" and breaks stuff)... When they can't share I take the offending toys away and they go in "toy time out". This works WONDERS!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Good idea. I do the same kind of thing when my BFF's son is over playing and him and my son want the same toy. I just remove said toy from play and usually both boys will pick a new toy to play with.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• love this!
    we do not have time out yet
    daughter three but has autism and when she tantrums-she is way way gone, would not get the idea
    but i have hide toys that case frustration and therefore a garaunteed tantrum

i will remember the time out toy idea for if and when she is able to get the concept

is this your idea? very creaative!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I sure do! :) they have to earn them back, even for my 6 year old.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• HELLO,

PUT YOUR CHILD IN A CHAIR NEXT TO THE WALL HELPS. EVERYTIME HE DOES SOMETHING WORRY ABOUT 10 MINUTES EXPLAIN WHY U ARE PUTTING HIM OR HER THEIR IF HE GETS UP PUT THEM BACK AND THE SAME CHAIR UNTIL THEY START TO ACT BETTER. EVEYTIME GET PUT THEM RIGHT BACK IN CHAIR UNTIL THEY FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT U ARE SAY TO THEM.
    BEAUTIFULWOM518

Answer by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not my idea, technically. I've heard of taking toys away from them, however, my son has a melt-down when I admonish HIM, and then I feel we "lose the lesson" in the melt-down. He also hates confrontation, so......I decided to put the focus on the TOY, rather than him. I talk TO the toy, not to him (no eye contact with him). He "overhears" my conversation with the TOY, and it changes HIS behavior. I've been praying for a solution to the melt-downs. I have let too many things "slide" and am trying to regain control of our house, LOL! I hate confrontation, too, I guess, but I need to teach him to behave appropriately somehow.... :)
    doodlebopfan

Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010