• In the Spotlight:

Ok so I am not sold on this .......

whole BF thing. My sister and I have 3 year olds born 11 days apart. She BF and I FF. Her child has been sick at least 3 times more, with worse symptoms, has allergies, is a HORRIBLE eater, and is over all pretty moody kid. My child is a great eater, not sick very often, and allways happy. And my child is in day care, while hers is not. She is the one that brought this to my attention, and said next one she will FF and skip all the hassle. After she told me this i have been asking and noticing around that FF babies are really no worse off then BF babies, even though BF babies are suppose to have all the benifits..... anyone notice this as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think I truely ever paid much attention to which are better. I supplemented with both of mine. The first only 2 months and the second 4 months. But my second had sooo many allergies, the Bf was making it worse. I couldn't eat, or pin point what I shouldn't eat. So I said forget this. He is actually partly on goats milk now. Some kids I think have stronger immune systems from genetics too. Some of her problems with her child can just be genetics LOL There is only so much a parent can do.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think kids are kids and are all different individuals.

I BF both of mine...my first son has always dealt with ear infections, colds...etc.

My second has very rarely been sick....so.....go figure...

I dont think FF or BF has anything to do with the differences in your kids....they are human individuals and bound to be different...in both good and bad ways..

IMO FF is much more of a hassle....I NEVER forget my breast at home...lol...., milk is always handy and at a perfect temperature...no washing bottles or nipples....I dont have to get up in the night to warm a bottle....much easier for me!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i dont think it really has much to do with all that. me and my sil both breastfed and my dd has no allergies that i know of, is never sick, and has only had one ear infection. her dd has tons of allergies, always has something wrong with her, and gets ear infections all the time.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It's an overall trend that ff babies have more problems, it doen't mean all. Some people smoke and live to be 95 and a person who never smokes can die young, it doesn't mean smoking doesn't cause issues. Just like some babies can tolerate any formula and others get terrible pain, gas, and cramps. You can't just look at a few, you need too look at a lot of factors and overall patterns.

Your sistet's child may be prone to illness and would likely be worse without breastmilk because then she would not have the benefits of the antibodies and other factors that can't be duplicated. There are also actions that can exacerbate preexisting conditions like over medicating, giving solids too early, and having chemical allergy triggers in the home.

Tell your sister that her bf is helping, if she weren't she'd wish she was. Tell her that ff isn't going to make things better for a child who is just prone to allergies.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sorry... science is science, not just how you see 2 kids in real life. It is bigger than your child and your sister's child... if all studies were based on info like that, we'd be screwed.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• In your sisters case i would look seriously at chemicals in the home like commercial baby lotion, baby oil, powder, perfumed soap, and typical chemical laced deterents....even disposable diapers. If you have an allergy, it can make you vulnerable to illness. remove the trigger and health often improves.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i was reading an article that says if babies are formula feed they won't get certain allergies although babies who are breastfed can get them. i think both ff and bf have benefits. my son is formula fed. he's a very happy baby.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl....How do you or your sis. know that the childs allergies or sickness might or might not have been worse without the breastfeeding.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Oh, forgot to mention that children with food allergies or inherited predisposition to allergies tend to be picky eaters for good reason! This is designed so that the baby drinks more breastmilk and give their digestive system the time it needs to mature so that they can eat foods without reacting to it. this is instinct and the pickiness is a good thing in this case. it could be that when she eats somethng it makes her stomach upset so she avoids it and thus also avoids new foods and sticks with foods that she knows won't cause an upset. FYI.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• But what you don't know is how much WORSE the EBF child would be if they were formula fed. You can't tell by just comparing 2 kids. It is when you compare 100 FF kids and 100 EBF kids that you see where the numbers are different.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010