I need some advice on potty training my son.

My son has always been ahead. He began walking at 8 mths. At 18 mths he asked to go potty. He was very aware that he was peeing in his diaper, and would look down at it. At first he was excited and wanted to go several times a day for a few days. Then he became distracted by the ladder attached to the potty and wanted to play with it. He didn't want to go to the potty again after that for a few weeks. Then we traveled to see family and he would ask again while there to use the potty. I bought another one, the one that sits on the floor. He took to it pretty well, even went poopy, but again only wants to use it once or twice a day. Usually during a diaper change he will ask to go, but not often. If I ask him through out the day to go he tells me no. Now at 22 months, it seems we are going no where. He wants to play, does not want to take it seriously. He's ready but I don't know how to encourage it and get him to stick to it.

tresa2steppin

Asked by tresa2steppin at 12:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this is a come and go process. Be consistent but don't sweat over it. Don't feel guilt if it's just peer pressure, or family. he's a child and they aren't going to "get it first time" or even second. I believe that all parents go through potty phases with their own children.
    We had a soft seat cushion thingy, and it had a cartoon theme, like dora. It was cute, and they like the colors. We couldn't get them off the seat. Help them shadow you . When you go potty, allow your child to see you use it and ask questions.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Just make it fun for him. Thats what worked for my son and he was potty trained in about two weeks time. I made a little chart that I taped beside the potty and each time he went on his own he got a star on the chart (don't use candy/food/etc for prizes stickers are just fine!) Then we did away with the diapers and pull ups altogether. We bought the plastic pants that you pull up over panties. I've seen them at Walmart, Target and Babies R Us. When he had an accident it felt gross to him but didnt make a mess. He had fun with the experience. The one thing to make sure never to do is show that you are impatient with the process. It can discourage him. Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sink the Cheerios! Make a game of it...Throw a few Cheerios in there and tell him to hit them.

Use a reward chart and if he uses the potty a certain number of times each day, he can earn a reward that you agree on ahead of time
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 1:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• we did the sink the cheerios game alone with a sticker chart. he got three stickers a day.. one for being dry in the morning, one for making it to lunch and the other for making it until bed. at the end of the week we counted the stickers and he got to watch his favorite movie past bedtime or have a fun game on saturday and everyone would play.. his choice!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010