has anyone had a positive triple screen that was false?

I had my triple screen blood test last week and the Dr has scheduled me for both an Ultrasound and an Amnio tomorrow as my results came back abnormal and positive for Downs. has anyone been through this and had the results come back that everything was fine? I'm worried!

HDMoore

Asked by HDMoore at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I myself have never been through this, but a very good friend of mine tested positive for Downs when she was pregnant and at the time she was 29. Her little girl is now 3 and perfect not a single problem..........hopefully just a ray of hope.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 1:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• When I was pregnant with my oldest, this happened. We did the ultrasound and the amnio, and my son is now a 7 yr old, very healthy, very smart boy with absolutely no problems. It was very scary until we got the results, but everything was fine. I'm sure it will be for you as well. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My second daughter (the first did have Down's, and died of complications of it) tested positive as well, but did not have the disorder. She's five, and very healthy.

False positives are common with the triple screen. Ask for a nuchal fold test instead, and believe THOSE results - not the triple screen's. See if you can get the fold test before the amnio, as it could eliminate an otherwise mildly risky procedure.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 2:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008