Does your toddler act like this???

My husband seems to think our 4yr old may need medication. She is pretty hyper, and really does not stay still. She has so much energy. She talks all the time and basically when I looked on the ADHD website she had all the symptoms. Yet and still my thinking is she is 4. Is this normal 4yr old behavior???

my2kids312

Asked by my2kids312 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 4 year-old never shuts up and is always hyper unless she is sick. she will sit and watch 5 minutes of a movie and be bugging me for something or wiggling on the sofa being a dork.. shes 4, i kind of expect it. haha
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i think it depends on how severe the symptoms are. and if you really want your 4 yr old on medication. i know i wouldnt. just make sure she has plenty to do and can go outside and burn off some energy everyday.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Little ones are nothing but little balls of energy. It amazes me how many people are so quick to label them hyper, & want to medicate them just because they are active and energetic. All 4 of mine are like that & I can't imagine thinking there's something wrong with them. We just channel their energy into fun activities that keep them busy & expend their energy & there's no problem. I dare to say there are very few little ones who are content to sit around & not be active, and being forced to do so is where the "problem child" type of acting out begins. Give it some time before determining that there needs to be a diagnosis of anything...

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it is normal. I have a niece and nephew who are both 4 and they are wild kids. Very energetic, they go from day light to dark. But I think it is normal for kids of that age. They just have lots of energy.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• could be spd
    sensory processing disorder
    mine has therapists, speech, Ot and socail

mine is a sensory seeker
    store for example...tons of things to look at, people everywhere going in all different directions, smells, sounds, etc
    she HAS to take all new stuff in and then overloads to tantrum...if this sounds like yours-might be spd

have your child referred by ped dr to get evail??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• also
    take all artifical food dyes out of diet
    plus all perservatives that come from petrolium

see if this helps
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son was hyperactive and the teachers found that he was in the top percentile of his class. He was considered above average.
    Certain foods cause children to be hyperactive like many that contain tons of sugar in mostly all beverages children consume.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with ghostwriter... people are too quick to label their kids.

Try redirecting her energy. She may do better for you if you keep her moving and structure her activities. Say, have her color for twenty minutes or a half an hour, then go outside and run around for an hour, then back inside to read books for a half an hour, followed by toy play, a quiet tv show, then lunch.

Also, she may need to take a nap every day if she doesn't. Try earlier in the day rather than later if she gives you a hard time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Honestly, if teaching them how to calm themselves doesn't work and it's interfering with daily activities (gets kicked out of school b/c they won't focus on task for more than a minute or so) then it may be time to talk to a dr.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is normal. My son has way too much energy and talks all the time. He is also very opinionated and wants to make sure his thoughts and feelings are well known. lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010