what did you do differently the second time around?

with your second (or third or fourth) child what did you do differently?

jennifer588

Asked by jennifer588 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Became more and more relaxed about everything involving child rearing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I didn't rush to pick them up when they were crying or when they fell down. I let them self sooth a bit more. I also didn't hoover as much. My younger two are definitely more self assured.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I bought the cheaper diapers, used the cheaper formula(they're exactly the same just ha;f the price of the name brand ones that I thought I 'needed' with my first."
    I'm not as worried with my second. I was so scared of my first choking that I would give him tiny pieces of solids and watched him like a hawk all of the time.
    My daughter eats whatever I'm eating in appropriate sized pieces and she gets to climb and explore more than my son got to at that age because I'm not so terrified this time.

I also don't rock her to sleep every night like I did with my son. She is really good about going to sleep on her own in her crib. My son still needs extra cuddles and time with me before bed because I wouldn't let him cry at all as a baby.

The second child is much easier. Lol!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• More lenient, more relaxed, more sure of what I was doing and less anxiety.

Answer by older at 1:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well 24 plus years ago when I had my 1st 2 kids I was all over them all the time by the time I had my 8 yr old dd I had learned to relax and let things flow off my back so to speak. Things aren't as important as they seemed to be then I don't know she doesn't need but just what she needs nothing more nothing less and we travel more with her.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The biggest thing I didn't do was rock the second after a bottle. I just laid him down in bed. He is the one who sleeps better now. I was just so in love that I like rocking him and singing.....LOL what was I thinking?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We didn't push potty training... Otherwise just about everything has been identical.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010