My 16 month old keeps stripping his diapers off. Help.

My DS keeps taking his diapers off, it doesn't matter if he has on clothes he gets them off too. Right now he is naked sitting on his potty chair. Do you think letting him run bare butt and keeping his potty in the living room is the wrong way to go about this?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's training himself...my daughter did this and she is going every night before her bath and other times throughout the day...she's peed maybe two times on the tile floor, but then she runs right to the potty...if he's taking it off and sitting, then don't force it back on. He'll associate potty with negative reinforcement. let him do his thing :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Nope, that's what I did when my son wouldn't keep his clothes on.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• great thing
    he is naked AND on potty chair
    what better weather to have him want to be naked and try the potty

maybe if not too hot, go outside, let him walk around naked, if and when it goes down his leg, he may be even closer to potty training

my daughter did this today, even sat on her potty for ten minutes-a new record for her!-nothing in the pot, but gave her a high five and i said good try
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son used to take his off too. Two words of advice for you: duct tape. lol Just cut it off when you need to change the diaper. Worked like a charm, he couldn't get it off and pee all over the place after that.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Nope. time to potty train. They also sell little seats to sit on top of the toilet. We have those in the bathrooms. We didn't even bother with the little potty chair. He went straight to the toilet, since we did. When he got better, we put the little potty in his room for during nap time or bedtime to begin implementing he use that rather than waking everyone up to go pee.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• lmao Cole, my 22 mo old has been doing this for like 7 months...I keep the potty chair out so he can sit on it whenever he wants....but when he needs a diaper on...I put it on backwards lol...
    oregonduck

Answer by oregonduck at 2:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sounds great - your baby is learning how to use the potty *and* it seems to be his idea! Should be only a matter of time now... Both of mine did this too, stripped off their diapers and started using the potty. Way to go!!
    SillyJessi

Answer by SillyJessi at 2:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• thats exactly what we do! during the day the potty is in the living room. my son was potty training well, but had many accidents and soon he regressed and stopped telling us when he had to go. I put the potty chair in the living room and the only accidents we have is upon waking if I dont take him to the bathroom on time because of my lazy butt LOL. Many say the potty should stay in the right place...the bathroom, but you can put it in the living room and as your son gets the hang of it, each day move it closer and closer to the bathroom!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If he'll sit on the potty, go for it! :) Just don't push it if he changes his mind. Then go for the diaper again. At that point you can try a diaper on backward or maybe pull-ups. :)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sounds like it is time for pull-ups that he can put on and take off by himself, so he can start truly potty training.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2010