Question about moving and junk.

So, when you move do you get rid of the junk you've aquired that you don't want any more while you're packing, or do you get rid of it while you're unpacking???

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have to agree with some of the other posters have said. Having a yard sale and or going through everything while packing I think would make the whole process easier for you. Less to move. Less to unpack. The moving process as a whole can be very stressful with things getting lost, broken and stolen. Best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Yes I did. I took it to Salvation Army and took the tax credit for the donation.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• ideally i would want enough time to de clutter before move
    rummage sale, donate, free cycle
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Move it out before you move you don't need to take it with you. As you are packing start chucking!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 1:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We have always gotten rid of it as we were packing. Why pack it all up & lug it with you just to have to unpack it & deal with it later? You have so much to unpack & deal with just with the things you decided to take with you. I say make life easier, get rid of it before you move.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Whatever I don't use or haven't used in a long time, goes before we pack. Unpacking is crazy enough!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We're getting ready to move next week, and we've been getting rid of all our 'junk' as we pack. Less to unpack and deal with after the move!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I kind of did half and half the last time I made a big move. When I started packing I was gutting out stuff as I went and donating it to thrift stores, offering it to friends, taking crap to the dump etc... but when time started running out, I quickly packed up the rest of the stuff and have been weeding it out as I've been unpacking it.

Ideally do it as you're packing, that way you're not moving with stuff you don't even want or need. The there are less boxes to unpack and less to worry about once you're in your new home.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• there is enough trash to deal with wehn unpacking- I try to get rid of anything we don't want before we move.
    also-if you are going a long distance...the more crap you take-the harder it is to fit in the truck!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• just moved a few weeks ago.. I got rid of the junk while i was packing. :O)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 2:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010