has anyone had a child at 31 weeks and wat was the outcome

..

momatonly16

Asked by momatonly16 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have not had a child that early. Although my SIL had my nephew at 30 weeks, he spent about 2 months in NICU. But now he is a perfectly normal active 3 year old.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Check this group out and see if any one can help. Just click on the link.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/7064?ct=search_top

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i haven't had a child that early either but i had my son at 33 weeks. there were triplets in the NICU that were born a week before my son and they were going home a few days after him. i *think* they were 31 weeks. he was in the NICU for 26 days so i'm guessing those triplets were in the NICU for about 35 days.

i think almost all babies born in the 30s end up being healthy babies by the time they reach their due dates. but it is a rough road to get there. definitely will have breathing problems, will not be able to eat, will have to have IV nutrition, most likely will be on oxygen in a nasal canula, possibly a respirator, eventually will be tube fed once digestion is possible.

Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my 33 weeker did not have to go on a respirator but did have o2 by nasal canula. he could not eat, and he took longer than normal (for his gestational age) to be able to digest. also his breathing was too fast for longer than normal for his age. i thought we would never ever ever get him out of the hospital! that is how it feels. but in the end, he came home at 37 weeks and now is a healthy 10 week old (3 weeks adjusted age).

every week inside mama makes baby so much healthier though! hopefully you do not have a preemie. are you expecting one, is that why you are asking?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• yes doc try to stop it best they can
    momatonly16

Comment by momatonly16 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2010