My kids are 15 and 11 how do I get them to help clean the house?

They have never been given a lot of chores to do, but they are older now and more capable of helping me. I get so overwhelmed with house work on my days off there is no time to relax.

Cindarella88

Asked by Cindarella88 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe it's time to tell them that they don't have a choice. They either help you out with the housework, or they get no priveleges. No tv, video games, take away phone time, they don't get to go and hang out with their friends and such until you see some help with all of the work that has to be done around the house. If they don't help, they get to spend their time in their room and don't get to come out except for meals and bathroom breaks. That's what my parents used to do to me and my brother.
    jeckellette

Answer by jeckellette at 2:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You aren't their servant, they are able members of the household and must do their share. Their share should at least be keeping their own rooms cleaned, beds changed, their bathroom cleaned and their laundry done. In addition anything else such as mowing, snow shoveling, dishes, vacuuming, floor scrubbing, dusting and so forth. As part of the household they are entitled to a portion of the income of the household. It must be remembered that they are receiving free room and board, health care, clothing probably, and so forth. So supposing that they are contributing their fair share of the tasks, and taking into consideration all the benefits- lodging, food, etc, then whatever fair amount that you decide on should be what some call an allowance. If they do not do their fair share, then renegotiation needs to take place, which includes cutting down on their money portion.

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My kids were taught all along that they're a part of the team and need to help out. I don't give them a choice. Being responsible to the rest of the family is not an option - it's required. They have to do their share.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• That's why you should make children help at an early age. I agree with jeck. It's not to late. You need to tell them what you expect them to do. Make a chore list so there is no misunderstanding. Tell then what privileges will be taken away if they don't complete the list.  Most important of all is stick to what you say.  You have to follow through with the consequences every time so they no you are serious.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010