Any Ideas of how to get my toddler to eat vegetables?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 2:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little one used to live her veggies, then at some point she stopped eating them, even though I LOVE veggies. I figured out that she doesn't like some of them plain or "just steamed". But she would eat them allup in a stirfry. I know my DD is a bit different, but she likes things to have flavor. Maybe because I started her on "table food" fairly early. Once she was physically capable I just fed her tiny bits of what I was eating. She got teeth early and at 21 months has a mouth full. But try adding some kind of flavor to them - also she is a fruit-a-holic so that helps. There are studies that say kids are wired to prefer sweet and dislike bitter (old biological response - many poisons are bitter) so go for the fruit if nothing else. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 11:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The best way I've found is...

*introduced them to kids when they were babies, and included it in all meals. It became a common thing...

*Letting your child help you prepare the veggies. Let them sprinkle a dabble of spice on them. That is one of the biggest reason my son likes to eat his veggies... he helped make them.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• eat them yourself? just steamed they are sweet and fun to chew. If kids are eating fruit, they are getting lots of the same minerals and stuff like veggies...cut up fruit a lots?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• cut them into shapes with little cookie cutters
    build a little stick person out of them.

serve them raw in a bowl with dip
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sometimes I fill an ice cube tray with snacks and dips. For example:
    black beans
    kidney beans
    peas
    carrots
    red, yellow, and green bell peppers
    applesauce
    ketchup
    peanut butter
    celery
    raisins
    tomatoes
    corn
    yogurt

Basically anything that could be eaten with your fingers
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If they have an older sibling it helps, my kids cracked me up at the dinner table when I made broccoli one night for dinner. I had talked to my older daughter about her setting a good example for her little brother. She's 5 he's 3. So even though she didn't really want to try it she did anyway to be the big sister she took a bite & said, "yum, this is soooo good" her brother then took a bite right away and the next thing I knew they were fighting about who was going to eat the most broccoli. Alot of times I put peanut butter or something they like on veggis. I mean it dosen't matter what you put on it as long as they are getting their fair share of the veggis. =)
    My Son will eat anything as long as there is peanut butter or ketchup on it. Ketchup on corn seems gross to me but hey he wants it that way. lol
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Get fresh veggies and steam them (don't boil). They're the best tasting this way. Offer them with every meal and your toddler should see you eating them regularly. Don't deny dessert or fruit or whatever because they didn't eat their veggies...it gives the impression that one is better than the other. Offer cheese or dip. You can also hide pureed veggies in food. Spaghetti sauce will hide an array of pureed veggies (broccoli, carrots, etc.). Also keep in mind that most things you get from veggies, you can also get from fruit. Make sure your child is "Eating Across the Rainbow" in the fruit category (assuming they eat fruit) to ensure they're getting the best nutrition possible from what they are eating. (Meaning they should be eating something in every color on a regular basis, Red Apples, Orange Peaches, Yellow Bananas, Green Kiwi, Blue Blueberries, Purple Grapes, etc.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• let him/her see you eat and and go yummy like its really good, then offer him/her some of yours!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Veggie smoothie? That might work.... Slip in some with a fruit one and maybe they won't notice.... Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Great Ideas,, thanks everyone
    mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2010