This really broke my heart to read! *Rise in African children acccused of witchcraft*

"Unicef's Regional Child Protection officer for West and Central Africa told the BBC more than 20,000 streetchildren had been accused of witchcraft in the DR Congo capital Kinshasa."

I know Africa and the US are literally worlds apart, but this just breaks my heart every time I read it. It seems as if we all complain and complain about how we are being "oppressed" or abused because of our religious path... But at least we have the right to have it. These poor children are innocent and aren't even witches, just children... I guess somethings never change, they just move...

Really makes me thankful to have that freedom, even if not everyone respects it! How about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• :(

and also glad we DO have freedoms..some abuse it, some live it, and some don't use it at all..but that's still THEIR choice. makes me sad, too, sabrina.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'd read about the child "witches" in Nigeria a while back. It's absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking, I can't believe anyone could do the things they do to their own children.
    Elsasmom

Answer by Elsasmom at 2:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It makes me feel sad, really over half the world lives under really deplorable and inhumane conditions and I don't know how people survive.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is sad, but most of these people aren't even practicing witchcraft, not that being a witch is bad.. but albinos have been mutilated in Africa because they were thought to be cursed or witches, or something like that. It's really heartbreaking that people can treat other human beings so badly.

Mama291024

Answer by Mama291024 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think that's what really bothers me Mama! It's one thing to oppress, tourture and kill people because of their actual beliefs or doings, but killing people just because... It's even worse! Neither is good of course, and this isn't something new - obviously... But knowing it's still going on in today's world, and to children no less - really just makes me wish I could adopt them all!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• And it is all senseless.
    Like the old witch trials where they would throw girls into the water to see if they could swim because only a witch would float or swim. Well, if you cant float or swim you drown and if you can they kill you for being a witch so either way they just murdered yoo. Completely ignorant!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It's exactly like the Witch Trials of Europe and the Americas... The problem is that while we continue to educate people on THOSE past crimes we are doing nothing to educate people on the fact that this is STILL happening... It has been going on in Africa for generations although until recently it was mostly the elderly and women who were targeted and now it's kids... Many times we talk about the "Burning Times" in this section (as well as others and other sites) as if it were over... And through Europe and the N.America, it is... But world wide it's still a very real thing!

They are in fact using updated techniques, but nothing has changed. Priests are charging families for "exorcisms" and those who aren't exorcised for money are arrested and tortured until they confess - sounds pretty familiar to me...

When will this stop?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• This sickens me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• This should be the argument against missionary work being shouted from the rooftops. THIS is what decades of preaching and converting there have led to.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010