HELP BEFORE I HAVE TO CUT OFF ALL MY DAUGHTERS HAIR!!

My three year old (with the most beautiful red hair) had her hair in pig tail braids the other day. Somehow, with out me knowing, she BACKCOMBED her hair into a dreadlock! I've tried everything I can think of to get it out... soaking it, washing it, soaking it in conditioner, lotion, mayonnaise, even olive oil, and it's still not coming out!! I don't want to have to cut all her beautiful hair out, but the longer I can't get it out, the worse it gets!! ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 2:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Have you tried calling a hair salon and asking them? or even taking her into a hair salon?
    Lilmomma1986

Answer by Lilmomma1986 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would take her into a beauty salon and see what they can do with her. Good luck!
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My niece once had what looked like a nest in her hair from not letting my sister ever comb it lol but what they did was went to Sally's Beauty Supply and they told her to use cholesterol which they sold there. It really helped! She did have to trim it a little but not much.
    3blondebeauties

Answer by 3blondebeauties at 2:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you've tried combing just the bottom inch, then next inch, and so forth, at bit at a time starting at the bottom, then it is time to see if a professional can help her. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I can try the cholesterol... but there are two problems with me taking her to a salon. First of all, she's going through the terrible twos late and doesn't deal well with strangers touching her, and I don't get paid until next Friday, so I wouldn't even be able to take her to a salon until next week anyway :o(
    prinzesstephi

Comment by prinzesstephi (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• ^^^ by bottom inch I mean from the ends of her hair, the farthest point AWAY from the scalp.

Answer by Bmat at 2:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• With my dogs long tail I was told to put cornstarch in it and scrunch the mats btwn my fingers. This was a godsend for me because like you I didn't want to cut. For his breed you are supposed to leave the tail hair long .   Anyways cornstarch worked really well...still took time but it did work!

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had dread locks all the time when i was a kid. My mom could not comb my hair enough times a day for it to not lock up together (it was curly & crazy). When it got real bad, she would take me to the salon & those ladies always got the dread locks out of my hair. They would wet it, put conditioner & tangle spray in my hair & comb it out wet, starting with a wide tooth comb. You have to start from the bottom & work your way up the head. If you start at the top of the head, then it will tighten the knot as you work down. Wet it, get a wide tooth comb, throw conditioner & tangle spray in it & start from the bottom & work your way up. If you are patient enough, you won't have to cut her hair. Trust me, this comes from someone who could have been called a rastafarian as a child & my hair was never cut short until i was older. We always got them out.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• http://www.knottyboy.com/?URLpid=required
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• WTH - cholesterol? I think y'all mean conditioner?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010