How to prepare sandwiches that children can bring to school? Any filling ideas? spoilage warnings?

I was wondering if I made a chicken filling using steamed chicken, celery, onion, mayo...would it still be ok to eat till lunch time? Do you heat up the cold cuts first before putting it in the sandwich? Spoilage? How about egg sandwiches? I'm wary of food getting spoiled. What do you do? I just got a stainless steel insulated jar today but that would be for the rice and pasta dishes. I need ideas for the sandwiches too.

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in

• I have sandwich containers that have a freezable gel lid that are kept in the freezer until it is time to use them. I also use freezable jell packs that are kept frozen until it is time to send the lunch off and they are packed in with the lunch. I have been making lunches for ever and I have never had a problem with anything going bad. They say you are supposed to cook lunch meat first, I have never done that.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• PB&J!
    I know that some parents will freeze a juice box and use it like a cold pack to help keep things from spoiling, but I still don't like sending anything w/ mayo or the like.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Make sure you can send peanut butter first. A lot of schools are peanut free zones.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• it sounds silly but i use to pop a blueberry or strawberry frozen waffle in the toaster and then take it as my main bread. still had snacks like a fruit cup, veggies, a drink but it sure did fill me up!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i bought one of those lil childrens icepacks, and pop it into my daughters lunch bag that way it stays cool..she takes tuna/mayo sandwiches and egg salad sandwiches all the time...never had a problem!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• QandA, those freezable gel lid sandwich containers sound GREAT. What is the brand name and/or where did you buy them? Thanks!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I USE THE LUNCHABLE FOR MY CHILDREN U BUY OUT THE STORE I DON'T ALOT OF TIME BECAUSE I'M ON RUSH
    BEAUTIFULWOM518

Answer by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• MANY OF TIME I MY GET A FREEZE DINNER LUNCH IT STAYS FRESH UNTIL THEY GO TO LUNCH. I PUT IN A LUNCH BOX CONTAIN WITH IT KEEPS IT'S FRESH WITH APPLE AND APPLE OR AND ORANGE
    BEAUTIFULWOM518

Answer by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Anything that can spoil- just toss an ice pack in with it. Mayo, eggs, etc all need to be kept somewhat chilled. If you want to send something that is completely disposable (so you don't have to worry about them tossing the ice pack) you could try to freeze juiceboxes that would double as an icepack and yet be thawed by lunch time!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• oh I've also just yogurt "sticks" as an icepack -- they defrost just in time for lunch. (you know the long ones they can just suck out)
    LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010