What is the best way to deal with a 2 year old and their tantrums? I've been trying time-out, it helps sometimes, but not all the time, please help!

I started doing time-out recently for bad behavior. Whether she is trying to hit, bite, or basically scream her lungs out. This usually happens when she is not getting her way. Sometimes the timeouts work, and others it just doesn't. After 2 mins in time-out I get down on my knees to her level and explain exactly why I put her there to begin with, and that the behavior is unacceptable. Are there other alternatives to try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

AngelJ907

Asked by AngelJ907 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The "time" in time-out starts once she is calm.

Put her in her time out place and leave her. Let her kick and scream as long as she wants. Stay nearby so you can make sure she stays in her time out spot and so she doesn't hurt herself. Don't try to talk her out of it or offer anything to get her to calm down.
    Once she is calm, start the timer.
    Once the timer goes off, take her in your lap and say 3 simple sentences...
    I know you were angry when I didn't give you cookies.
    You can't have cookies for a snack.
    Let's go find an apple or grapes for a snack.
    or
    I know you were angry when I took the scissors away.
    Scissors can hurt you.
    Let's go find something fun to play with.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• ignore the tantrums there are times my son just wants constant attention.... so he crys and crys i ignore him and if he hits or gets into things he is not supposed to... he goes to timeout... he is getting alot better i been dealing with it for about 5 months now and just being consistant helps alot....
    Anonymous

• Thats great advice kaycee!! I was reading this one because Im going through the same situation with my 22 month old...Thats one I will have to try!
    Sorry Angel I didnt have an answer, but like I said...Im going through the exact same thing you are! Good luck to you!
    ariel_n

Answer by ariel_n at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Awesome advice kaycee! I also agree with the first response, IGNORE! My son hit terrible twos at around 18 months and OMG have the tantrums been nuts! But, I've found that it helps my sanity to just ignore him and he also stops them pretty quickly now when he sees I'm not listening.
    amygrims

Answer by amygrims at 5:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008